What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sick ampullaria

mato

BANNED
Hey guys,

So, last week, my friend and I decided to order some plants from an unnamed vendor. All of the plants came un-potted and, with the exception of two, looked rather sickly. This is especially true for the ampullaria we ordered. The day it arrived it already looked a bit thin, but two days later it looked almost totally withered, and still does. I read that ampullaria need pretty high humidity, so I thought maybe it had just collapsed from lack of. I decided to put a plastic zip-lock baggy over the pot with the top cracked open to raise the humidity, but even this doesn't seem to be helping that much.

Perhaps the soil is draining a bit too much? I used 1 part peat to 2 parts pumice and orchid bark, so I assume it isn't that. Thought about buying some long fiber sphagnum, but, surprisingly, the garden stores I've tried here in inner Portland don't seem to carry it.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions about how I might remedy this problem, please let me know. I'd really rather not have this plant die on me.

Thanks again,
Mat

Heres a few suggestions:
Are you using distilled water? Sediments can build up on the roots and stop water flow.
Ampullarias like high humidity and high heat: 70-90% and 80 to 90degrees.

This is all I can think of as it is late where I am.
I will try and help as much as I can, as I just got back home w/ my new amp :-O

Change the media to mostly peat, it looks like it's draining to fast. They almost like to sit in water. They also like heat and humidity. Keep the bag on it and put it in a nice warm spot. It will take a while for it to rebound so be patient.

I'm watering from the tap, but the water here in Portland is some of the softest and cleanest in the country, so I don't think that's the problem (Sarracenia Northwest is located only about 20 minutes from here). I was also thinking it could be the media. It seems a bit drier than what my other nepenthes are in, which is probably particularly bad for this species.

Are you sure its ok????
I would get a ppm checker to make sure.
If its below 80 ppm, you should be ok.

Hey Lance, just checked the water with a tds meter and it's at a very nice 19 ppm. As I said before, we have very clean water in this city.

Ampullaria actually likes it a bit wetter than most nepenthes...I suspect the media is to blame.

the potting mix is faaaar too open for an ampullaria, i use 70% lfs 30% perlite and mine is doing fine

Just dumped a third of the media out and mixed the rest with peat moss. Looks much damper.

As everyone has said, add some LFS to make the media damper and give the plant some high humidity. I'm suspecting the roots have been injured badly.

And oh, I think my dead ampullaria is slowly reviving after nearly 5 months, so I'd take it easy if I were you, these guys are very hardy and tough :)

Before I repotted, I soaked the roots in a bowl containing a drop of superthrive and 1/16th tsp of orchid fertilizer already diluted in a 2 liter bottle I made previously. I think it should prove for a nice boost.

Back