Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N. ventricosa rediscovered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. ventricosa rediscovered

Not that it was ever lost in the wild or cultivation, but N. ventricosa because of its common status in cultivation is oftentimes overlooked by CP hobbyists.

It is a great beginner's plant, but once the next great Nepenthes species or hybrid is added to the collection, N. ventricosa can end up at the back of the shelf, seemingly forgotten, neglected and not nearly as appreciated as when it was the fresh new face in the collection.

But if seen again through fresh eyes, this species truly does produce beautiful shapely pitchers, all the way from the hour glass pinching at the waist, to the slanting arched back of the upper portion of its pitchers.

I have been taking the time to get reacquainted again with this lovely species, and have really been appreciating the splendid grace that this species offers.

Rather than having this Nepenthes species become only a distant memory in my rearview mirror, i have chosen instead to revisit this underrated species with a renewed interest and have found that this is once again one of my favorite specimens in my whole collection.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always been a ventricosa advocate, even when many of the peeps around me are not, really an underated but amazing speces.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plant -- and the first Nepenthes I ever owned; not a damn thing wrong with that species -- at all . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ventricosa is a little like capensis... It looks beautiful under the right care while being cheap and easy to grow. Unfortunately those last two traits make it difficult to get respect for. Just like capensis you look a little like a fool for entering it in a contest... even though it usually outshines all the others. While people want amazing plants, they also want to have more than others... and plants are sometimes used as status symbols. And that's why so many people want that expensive, picky grower over the humble or beautiful capensis or ventricosa.

/end stating the obvious
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally i've never been a fan of Ventricosa but I still make a point to admire my xVentrata regularly (:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur it is a great species plus it makes some awesome hybrids.
    I love lamp...

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I love it! The reason mine is on the back of the shelf (actually in a hanging basket that just gets overlooked but taken care of) is cause it refuses to pitcher for me!
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really only like the porcelain and alba forms, I think the normal form is a little plain and I would definently go for a burkei over a normal ventricosa any day but I can't deny it has made some amazing hybrids
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast