Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some Nepenthes Updates!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Nepenthes Updates!

So I'll start by saying I've caught the Nepenthes bug. I used to be all about Sundews, but then the one Nep I had (N. ventricosa) really started to take off and I developed a real appreciation for these things. Now I have a number of them growing in pseudo-lowland conditions with a little (well, a good deal) less humidity than such conditions would dictate. Those conditions aren't ideal for a number of the plants in my rack, but they all seem quite happy at the moment, and have for a few months, save for some red spots on a few of them which can most likely be attributed to offensive summer temperatures, which have passed now (fingers crossed...)

In the foreground: N. Deroose alata on the left, N. x ventrata on the right. The tall plant behind the N. Deroose alata is a N. mirabilis, which has exploded with new growth recently. Soon it will be too tall for my grow rack!!

N. ventricosa x spectabilis - got off to a VERY slow start when I first received it from BE via a certain online retailer. It's looking much happier now, and working on a number of new pitchers... as you can see.

Still not quite sure what this guy is, but I love it. Any ideas?

Picked this guy up at the NASC benefit auction a few months back. It came as N. "Gothica," but it's reeeeeally starting to look like N. lowii x campanulata. Second opinions welcome!
    Last edited by TheFury; 08-24-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plants but (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) isn't ventrata and deroose alata the same plant And your gothica is definently a little lowii x campy
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefallen13 View Post
    Nice plants but (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) isn't ventrata and deroose alata the same plant And your gothica is definently a little lowii x campy
    Deroose alata = (Alata x (Alata x Ventricosa)

And maybe ramispina x campy, although I've never even heard of that.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! From what I understand, N. x ventrata is N. ventricosa x alata whereas N. Deroose alata is N. (ventricosa x alata) x alata. So, slightly different parentage. But to complicate things, from what I've read, much of what we see sold as N. x ventrata is actually a N. Deroose alata...

Someone feel free to hack and slash this post to correct the nomenclature errors I've surely made...

EDIT: awgaupp, you beat me to it. So I flipped the parents of N. Deroose alata around. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post

EDIT: awgaupp, you beat me to it. So I flipped the parents of N. Deroose alata around. Thanks!
    Well, I'm not sure which is which I just know it's Alata and Alata x Ventricosa so...
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for clarifying that Adam I've had both and to me they look almost the same to me!
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They definitely do look almost identical... the pitchers on the Deroose look a little greener... but the difference I've noted is in how eagerly the Deroose plants grow. I've only had my Deroose for 6-8 months or so and it's already spawned two vines and a basal! The Deroosa alata you see in this pic is actually a cutting I took off of a larger plant that I'm growing as a houseplant in my kitchen. It's a machine, I tell you.... although oddly enough, it's the only Nep I own that has never pitchered for me. Go figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some more updates!

A view of the whole Nep shelf

The growth point on my N. ventricosa "red" died suddenly and the plant started looking all spotty and gross. I had it growing in my window so I think it just got fed up with the 6+ hours of strong direct sunlight and high heat it was getting each day. Luckily it's sprouting like five million new growth points!

N. deroose alata finally started making pitchers... and plenty of them! Three popped and two more in the making!

The lid on this lowii x campanulata is looking a little gnarly but I'm loving the peristome now that it's matured. This thing is pumping out two new pitchers!

Perhaps my favorite Nep in my collection - N. ventricosa x spectabilis "giant." It's working on a nice big pitcher. Love the stripy peristomes on these things.

I still have NO IDEA what this guy is, but it just popped its largest pitcher yet and it's superb! Look at that lid!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast