User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating the best HL conditions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    t5 light would probably work better for u and are a little cheaper,hps and mh through off to much heat and you will cook your plants,they also put a lot of light in a small area,t5 throw off some heat and spread the light around much better,
    you can get ballasts that will run both types (hps,mh) but the cost more,there are also bulbs that will run in the other type of ballast but they are expensive
    your best to us t5's and a electric heater,if you need more humidly ,you can use a vaporizer to heat and raise humidly

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mickey- I was thinking along similar lines! I might have found a solution in 250W CFLs. On paper they seem better than T5s for what I need If I buy a good reflector. They also give off very little heat, so I think it's best.
    Here's a link: http://www.enviro-gro-lites.co.uk/Lamps.asp

I've managed to track down the bulbs for cheaper prices, but the jury's still out on the lighting front- I'm still unsure as to whether T5 is better or not. What do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MH1 View Post
    I might have found a solution in 250W CFLs. On paper they seem better than T5s for what I need If I buy a good reflector.
    Just based on their structure, that is unlikely. With the tube configuration, each is blocking a significant amount of light output from the others. In addition, the structure does not allow for an efficient reflector. Av has explained this concept in several of his posts. A 48" HO T-5 with well-designed mirror reflector is tough to beat.

They also give off very little heat, so I think it's best.
    I heard something similar for one I purchased years ago. It came in a plastic housing w/ a white reflector. I figured - how hot can a fluorescent lamp get anyway? Answer - very hot!! It smelled like it was burning up after the 1st few minutes & ultimately it did melt the plastic housing. I took it out of service because I was afraid it would start a fire.

I'm still unsure as to whether T5 is better or not. What do you think?
    T-5 w/ mirror reflector wins (imho).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with a t5HO being better than a CFL...
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only skimmed your post, but i think those cool night temps would be fine for highlanders if you could provide heat for the day. If they are always cool they won't do well, but give them a temp rise in the day and they'll thrive. You'd be surprised how much heat can build up from lights over the course of day, especially if you are able to close the door to the room they are in some sort of enclosure. Even with several t8 fixtures I build up a lot of heat in the room I grow my highlanders in. Best of luck!

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Just based on their structure, that is unlikely. With the tube configuration, each is blocking a significant amount of light output from the others. In addition, the structure does not allow for an efficient reflector. Av has explained this concept in several of his posts. A 48" HO T-5 with well-designed mirror reflector is tough to beat.
    Hmmmm, yes. This is what made me wonder about the CFL bulbs... I would have still thought that the overall power of the bulb might have still given it an edge, but maybe not. As for a reflector, I had had this in mind: http://www.enviro-gro-lites.co.uk/2LREFLECTOR.asp
    again, at a cheaper price.

So a T5 still gives off more light/intensity ? I was looking at the lumens of the 250W bulbs and they say 12 500 each, so 25 000 in a two bulb system, as opposed to a 4 bulbed T5 unit, which has 16 500 lumens. This sounds better- but could this not transfer into reality, due to bocking, as you said? T5s may still be better... How useful are lumen outputs in deciding which is best? Can they be affected by bulb shape- thereby making the lumen reading only add up if the CFL was unravelled and then tested? Sorry for the complete lack of rational thought on this one, but I have little understanding of the terms used- to be cynical I'm sure companies do it on purpose!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12