What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POTM Contest: September 2011

Since we're fighting it out for 10th spot (truly the place that matters), :-D here's a few pics of my BE N. eymae (aka: N. maxima) before I stick them in my growlist. Every time I go to give it away, the colors & the shape of the peristome & lid keep it here. Even the two little odd protuberances under the lid are interesting ... ???
Neymaefrontfull090311RS.jpg
Neymaesidetop090311RS.jpg

Very nice looking Ron! The underside is something else

That clone of maxima only gets better with time. Has it produced any pitchers with black peristomes?

That clone of maxima only gets better with time. Has it produced any pitchers with black peristomes?
I agree - it continues to get more interesting as it ages. This is a fairly young pitcher but normally the peristome turns to a super-dark red that looks black on 1st impression (& may be black once pitcher ages for a while).

Little bit of an update, N. ventricosa x glandulifera

DSCN6333.jpg

All these plants look so awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Wait, I thought only eymae had the bump thing, so...wouldn't that mean that's truly eymae ? Or is it like..Maxima x eymae? Or...

I'm so confused :blush:

It's gorgeous though!

Wait, I thought only eymae had the bump thing, so...wouldn't that mean that's truly eymae ? Or is it like..Maxima x eymae? Or...

I'm so confused :blush:
I don't know about the bump but I do know that this clone will not get the 'expected' wine-glass uppers. Nether BE's nor Wistuba's are considered the real species. EP apparently has the real deal but I don't know if they share cuttings any more. For a good read .....

So... which name are you going by here, eymae or maxima? Can't label it as both in the voting thread.

So... which name are you going by here, eymae or maxima? Can't label it as both in the voting thread.
here's a few pics of my BE N. eymae
It's still listed as a N. eymae in my growlist - so the same here. I typically qualify it as BE N. eymae so it's clear to those who have done the research or who may have one of their own - what it really is. Imho - it would be less clear to list as a N. maxima.

It'd be less clear to list it as an N. maxima than a false N. eymae? :scratch: Why's that?

I don't know about the bump but I do know that this clone will not get the 'expected' wine-glass uppers. Nether BE's nor Wistuba's are considered the real species. EP apparently has the real deal but I don't know if they share cuttings any more. For a good read .....

N. maxima, eymae, and fusca all have that little bump at the base of the lid. My guess is that it's an indicator of them being related. N. eymae has smaller pitchers (in general) than maxima, and the neck has more of a curve to it and a different leaf shape. The differences are very subtle.

It'd be less clear to list it as an N. maxima than a false N. eymae? :scratch: Why's that?
N. maxima has a large amount of variability. Each time I list it the same (see above) so that folks who have done some research know exactly how the plant will look & grow (uppers & lowers) while the less-informed folks will have a clue that it is similar to one of the N. maxima variations. In addition, BE resellers are still listing & selling this clone as N. eymae. The way I list it is more precise imho.

Last edited:
According to those ideals I should be listing my macro as BE N. macrophylla (x Trusmadiensis). But just because I bought it as a macrophylla, doesn't make it any less x TM. ;) And we all know how the BE macro story goes.

According to those ideals I should be listing my macro as BE N. macrophylla (x Trusmadiensis). But just because I bought it as a macrophylla, doesn't make it any less x TM. ;)
I agree that you should list it as that (with an aka: inside the parenthesis) - for the reasoning I listed above.
And we all know how the BE macro story goes.
Not everyone knows the story here just as not everyone knows the history behind N. eymae clones in circulation. Adding a few extra words provides exact clone info to those who have been informed and also starts a mini-education for those who haven't. I much prefer this option over writing the simple N. maxima or N. eymae (or N. macrophylla or N. x trusmadiensis in your case).

Ah, nothing like getting in under the wire. I did the best that I could to pick the dead bugs off the prim before pictures, lol.

ampullaria x ventricosa:

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

I read up on the rules, being my first entry, and I would like to specify that I am entering the big pitcher in the middle of the picture. It is almost impossible to keep the other ones out of the picture. This thing might kill itself making so many pitchers.

My entry: N. thorelii x aristolochioides (male)

IMG_6753.jpg

update

ventricosa x trusmadiensis
img3832d.jpg

img3830yz.jpg

img3831e.jpg

Back