Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Help_Dying Nepenthes Plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Neither of those soil mixes are the correct growing media for Nepenthes. They should be planted in long fiber sphagnum moss you can add some Osmunda fiber, orchid bark, perlite or pumice to the moss to lighten it up but I would repot them very soon. Peat based soil recipes are generally a terrible media for Nepenthes.

Also a bag is a very constricted environment with no airflow, this is not good because as Jesse mentioned the bags could be getting to dangerous temperatures.
    Not always..I grow my N.ampullaria in a peat/perlite mix.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use peat with all my neps since I grow them in low humidity it helps them stay moist and I've tried very airy mixes but for me they'd dry out every other day so rather than being beneficial it just stressed the plants out, but in this case I would definently add orchid bark and LFS to make it more airy.
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some of the pics theres like sticks in there? when they decompose they release nutrients wich is a no no for cp soil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly gino, is the media you're using for these neps been used on your other neps? Do your neps like this media?

Also, you need not close the plastic bag. Use a tall plastic bag and leave the top open. In the tropical weather, the heat will rise to the extreme especially in a very humid environment(I stay in Malaysia).

Also, I usually use LFS plus perlite and a bit of charcoal for recovery of plants that are extremely sick. LFS holds water longer in our tropical environment and will provide more humidity. If your neps are small, you can plant them in a pot that is wider in diameter than the plant. That way, the humidity from the surface of the media is more and this will benefit the plant (I've personally used this technique on the humid loving neps eg northiana and it works like a charm).

All in all, your neps look like they are still possible to recover, they look exactly like my clipeata 2 weeks ago. Now the clipeata has stop browning its leaves @.@, I used the exact method I mentioned previously in my post. Don't bury your veitchii x platychila growth point though. Good luck and I hope your plants survive!

P.S: When growing neps in tropics, the media dries out really fast. Sometimes, even with pure LFS, you need to water every 2 days during the dry season!
    Edward

My Growlist
    My Twitter page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all my Neps have the same medium mixture in their pots. These plants are the only ones that are struggling..

What's the percentage of your LFS, perlite and charcoal? Do you think it's okay to repot again when I just potted them?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rball that looks like treefern fiber. Takes years to decompose. It works great on orchids too., but some do look like pure peat. Transplant shock maybe?
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's osmunda fiber mixed with peat. It could be transplant shock, but I don't know how to make it survive the shock..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updates:

I put the pots in a terrarium that has a lot of moist sphagnum moss. I then put the terrarium on a place where it receives indirect sunlight. After a while, these are the results:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast