Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Getting a Nepenthes to flower

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a Nepenthes to flower

I was wondering does anyone have any experience to what encourages a nepenthes to flower? I heard one guy sprays his nepenthes with phosphorous and they flower almost every time. The seeds even have a high germination rate too.

I am trying to get my Female N. Trusmadies X Ventricosa to flower, and I want to know what works, and what doesn't from a experienced standpoint.

Lance

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only two neps I have ever had flower were long vines that were cut. The cuttings flowered while rooting. I think this is a survival mechanism.

But be warned that the female flower I had didn't produce seed. Not sure if that was due to lack of pollenation or health of the cutting. It flowered while I was on vacation of course and I didn't get a chance to pollenate until the flowers were already open for a while.

I think photo-period has something to do with it under normal non-life threatening situations. If you grow your nepenthes under lights then adjust the photo period during the fall and winter by an hour or so to mimic the seasons. At least that is what I have read from others and practice myself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a maxima hydrid that just produces three flower spikes. My splendiana is flowering female right now. I had a truncata that would flower yearly. I'm not sure if it is age or photo period. That would be awesome to find out.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    I have a maxima hydrid that just produces three flower spikes. My splendiana is flowering female right now. I had a truncata that would flower yearly. I'm not sure if it is age or photo period. That would be awesome to find out.
    What are your conditions? I heard that if the plant is exposed to bright light it will convince the plant that its vine has reached the jungle canopy, and most likely flower.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com