Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me not kill these Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the additional info. That's great to hear they can take cooler temperatures. Right now we've been having overnight lows from the upper 40s to low 50s, but I imagine by early December I'll have to bring them in at night. What are the main differences between Alata and Ventrata? I just googled some images of them, and they seem to look pretty similar. Mine is probably whichever one is more common (Ventrata I'm guessing).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. ventrata is a hybrid, alata is a pure species. The peristome of x ventrata has the little outer spikes like ventricosa does, alata doesn't. N. alata has a very bulbous bottom with a noticeable bulge, x ventrata doesn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in SF and I grow mine indoors with both natural and supplemental light. If you can provide a few hours of direct morning and/or late afternoon sun AND decent humidity the plants should do fine. I water my plants 2-3 times per week and mist them in the morning and evening. Both the Nepenthes you have are easy growers so if you can provide this kind of care they should survive no problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This time of year, the humidity outdoors shouldn't be too much an issue. We might have one more heatwave in the future (summer usually has one last gasp in October), but it shouldn't be too much the plants to handle. I worry about bringing them inside, since I don't really have many windows that the plants can go in that would get enough light. Is misting them necessary? I keep reading online about how people mist their Nepenthes, but I've never misted these ones and they seem to be doing OK. Though since they are outside, they are exposed to high humidity at night, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you have so little light indoors then it sounds like outside may be your only option. The humidity should be sufficient outside here in the winter I just worry about lack of warm temps during the day. Most days it stays pretty chilly and I don't know how these kinds of Neps are gonna like that. If they were ultra-highlanders that might be a different story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they need warm temperatures during the day? High temperatures during the middle of winter are usually 55-60 degrees (some days higher, some days lower). Would the low temperatures kill them or just halt their growth until it warmed up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well in my opinion, with those two Neps, they should survive (not thrive) outside in SF. They like warm temps during the day and cool temps at night...ideally. They probably won't grow much during the winter but should live as long as they get morning/late afternoon sun and their soil doesn't stay super wet all the time. Definitely don't use a saucer underneath them. I'd advise bringing them inside for the night if it's going to drop into the low 40s (or lower). I did grow an N. ventricosa outside during the winter and it survived.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12