Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and good luck lance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    (any idea what pollinated the stalk above??) !!
    Hmm probably nothing? Yes there are various male Nepenthes here and there but I don't ever recall seeing any busy bees in the greenhouse. The stigmas will turn brown eventually even on unpollinated flowers. I guess if you wanted to leave the pods and see if they develop, it's up to you. You may want to let the plant put it's energy into the crosses you are making though.

I am still curious to see if you get anything from the N. Predator.. I have tried many N. Predator crosses with several different N. Predators (all male) and never had a single pod develop. Anyone else try and have any luck yet?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionae View Post
    Congrats and good luck lance!
    Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Hmm probably nothing? Yes there are various male Nepenthes here and there but I don't ever recall seeing any busy bees in the greenhouse. The stigmas will turn brown eventually even on unpollinated flowers. I guess if you wanted to leave the pods and see if they develop, it's up to you. You may want to let the plant put it's energy into the crosses you are making though.

I am still curious to see if you get anything from the N. Predator.. I have tried many N. Predator crosses with several different N. Predators (all male) and never had a single pod develop. Anyone else try and have any luck yet?
    Tony, is it possible if you could do a quick check around the area where the plant was growing? From my perspective the ovaries look a lot bigger than the others and are producing the strange hairs described on mature pods in situ. N. X predator pollen has yet to arrive.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're having a rough time with this. I really hope something takes, especially with that truncata x (talangensis x carunculata).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    Sounds like you're having a rough time with this. I really hope something takes, especially with that truncata x (talangensis x carunculata).
    Sadly, I only received N. X Briggisiana pollen from SA...poor communication is probably why...

On another note the N. X Predator pollen arrived today

The pollen and flowers after opening...

Photobucket

Heres after pollinating...(red is N. X predator, shiny white is N. X Briggisiana) see the N. X predator pollen on the stalk?

Photobucket

Receptive flower used for N. X Briggisiana pollen

Photobucket

NO ID have grown a bit more...time lapse camera is still chugging along...

Photobucket

thats all for now

Lance

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updates

Nothing noticed yet on the pollinated flowers exept some small hairs that have popped up on the ovaries...anyone know if this is a sign of pollination success? The NO ID's are coated in them...so thats some good hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updates

It appears that at least one of the N. Ventricosa X lowii flowers has successfully pollinated...as far as I know. It was the first one to be given pollen, on the tip of the basal flower. The ovary tip has browned and the sticky dew has gone away.

Photobucket

The other N. Ventricosa X Lowii flowers on stalk 2 are also browning a bit on the ovary tips. The N. hamata X truncata are also browning, but they are still way more green than the N. ventricosa X lowii flowers, who were pollinated 3 days before.

Photobucket

So far, all signs point to successful pollination on both pollen. More pics coming soon.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, I hope the development keeps up!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast