Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes in vitro . . .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finominal!!!! Awesomeness.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some new additions, noticed for the first time early this morning. The seedlings are perhaps four or so weeks old and the first pitchers are just visible:

Nepenthes sp. "A" 2 April
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic and incredible as always BigB. Beautiful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you posting at obscure times in the night makes us miss these wonderful posts....awesome David!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    you posting at obscure times in the night makes us miss these wonderful posts....awesome David!
    What obscure times in the might? I was having breakfast . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a further update, from the March entry (please pardon the inevitable condensation); and notice the real size disparity between seed germinated within days, if not hours, of one another. Also, it would appear that a second growth point is under development (not such a disappointment) . . .

Nepenthes sp."A"
    30 March

7 July

Last edited by BigBella; 07-07-2012 at 01:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BB,The way the cultures are positioned it looks like you havnt replated the cultures?When would you replate after the first signs of germ?I have left some for a year without replate.Should I replate sooner?And if you wanted to make more (clones) what media would you put it on next?Sorry for asking alot of questions and you dont have to answer them.They all look great,thanks BB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelarge View Post
    Hi BB,The way the cultures are positioned it looks like you havnt replated the cultures?When would you replate after the first signs of germ?I have left some for a year without replate.Should I replate sooner?And if you wanted to make more (clones) what media would you put it on next?Sorry for asking alot of questions and you dont have to answer them.They all look great,thanks BB.
    Some of the explants have been re-plated; and others allowed to remain in the experimental media for a more prolonged period. Whether the plants are immediately sub-cultured after germination often depends upon what the goals are -- whether, say, axenic germination is the only interest at hand; or whether multiplication -- when actual tissue culture begins -- is the desire. In the past, my main interest was simply seed-grown Nepenthes plants and how I could maximize the yield of a batch of rare seed.

If multiplication was the plan, I'd experiment a bit with a media containing a conservative amount of both auxins and cytokinins (say, 2.2 µM 6-BAP and 2.7 µM NAA), perhaps even added coconut water (which contains a huge assortment of plant growth regulators), to encourage callus formation, since some Nepenthes requirements appear to be almost species-specific . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here was a pleasant surprise for Christmas Eve; and several others have since begun to germinate . . .

Nepenthes villosa (Tambuyukon) 24 December

2 January
    Last edited by BigBella; 01-03-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is amazing, the tambuyukon form is my favorite. Congratulations!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast