Informational! Informational!:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes in vitro . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BB,The way the cultures are positioned it looks like you havnt replated the cultures?When would you replate after the first signs of germ?I have left some for a year without replate.Should I replate sooner?And if you wanted to make more (clones) what media would you put it on next?Sorry for asking alot of questions and you dont have to answer them.They all look great,thanks BB.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelarge View Post
    Hi BB,The way the cultures are positioned it looks like you havnt replated the cultures?When would you replate after the first signs of germ?I have left some for a year without replate.Should I replate sooner?And if you wanted to make more (clones) what media would you put it on next?Sorry for asking alot of questions and you dont have to answer them.They all look great,thanks BB.
    Some of the explants have been re-plated; and others allowed to remain in the experimental media for a more prolonged period. Whether the plants are immediately sub-cultured after germination often depends upon what the goals are -- whether, say, axenic germination is the only interest at hand; or whether multiplication -- when actual tissue culture begins -- is the desire. In the past, my main interest was simply seed-grown Nepenthes plants and how I could maximize the yield of a batch of rare seed.

If multiplication was the plan, I'd experiment a bit with a media containing a conservative amount of both auxins and cytokinins (say, 2.2 µM 6-BAP and 2.7 µM NAA), perhaps even added coconut water (which contains a huge assortment of plant growth regulators), to encourage callus formation, since some Nepenthes requirements appear to be almost species-specific . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here was a pleasant surprise for Christmas Eve; and several others have since begun to germinate . . .

Nepenthes villosa (Tambuyukon) 24 December

2 January
    Last edited by BigBella; 01-03-2013 at 12:53 AM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is amazing, the tambuyukon form is my favorite. Congratulations!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, you like to snuggle under the blankets too.......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pokie22 View Post
    So, you like to snuggle under the blankets too.......
    That old photo was meant to suggest a New Year's Day hangover . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen this with Venus Fly Traps and sarrs, but not with neps, although I guess it's pretty much the same idea.... very interesting. Best of luck with the seedlings!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BigBella,

An off-topic TC question... what would cause Nepenthes to turn brown and die part-way through germination in vitro? Assuming a standard media of 1/3 MS with vitamins and 25g/L sucrose with no PGRs.

And while I'm asking, have you used activated charcoal in any of your cultures? I think I remember seeing in some literature that it helps in Nepenthes TC and it certainly has its place in orchid TC... BE also has a video that shows some of the Nepenthes TC stock and some cultures have the charcoal while others do not.

Thanks!

-Jimmy
    "I'm just a scientist without the proper documentation."

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113724

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast