What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes in vitro . . .

I do pretty good,
but man, yer' makin' me jealous!

Good going! :bigthumpup:

Awesome Dave. I can hardly wait to do some of this myself.

This is by far one of the coolest threads I've ever seen. You and klasac both work wonders in a jar.

You're too kind. It is simply an equation of too much jello and too much time . . .

Is that the same kind of nutrient solution that they use to sprout orchid seeds in flasks?.....if so, would you mind mentioning where you get it?...I'm gonna try my hand at orchid seeds soon.

Is that the same kind of nutrient solution that they use to sprout orchid seeds in flasks?.....if so, would you mind mentioning where you get it?...I'm gonna try my hand at orchid seeds soon.

There are a number of medias used for orchid use, chiefly Knudsen-C Orchid Media. Most of my supplies come from www.phytotechlab.com -- though there are a number of other suppliers in the US . . .

Here is a brief update of an experimental vial, begun last Fall . . .

Nepenthes "sp. A" 1 December
NEP-A-1.jpg

1 March 2012
NEP-A2.jpg

Here is an update:

Nepenthes sp."A"
30 March

NEPTC-B.jpg

NEPTC-A.jpg

Look great BigB!!!

Finominal!!!! Awesomeness.

Here are some new additions, noticed for the first time early this morning. The seedlings are perhaps four or so weeks old and the first pitchers are just visible:

Nepenthes sp. "A" 2 April
NEWNEPS.jpg

Fantastic and incredible as always BigB. Beautiful!

you posting at obscure times in the night makes us miss these wonderful posts....awesome David!

you posting at obscure times in the night makes us miss these wonderful posts....awesome David!

What obscure times in the might? I was having breakfast . . .

Here is a further update, from the March entry (please pardon the inevitable condensation); and notice the real size disparity between seed germinated within days, if not hours, of one another. Also, it would appear that a second growth point is under development (not such a disappointment) . . .

Nepenthes sp."A"
30 March

NEPTC-B.jpg

7 July

NEPA.jpg

NE2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi BB,The way the cultures are positioned it looks like you havnt replated the cultures?When would you replate after the first signs of germ?I have left some for a year without replate.Should I replate sooner?And if you wanted to make more (clones) what media would you put it on next?Sorry for asking alot of questions and you dont have to answer them.They all look great,thanks BB.

Hi BB,The way the cultures are positioned it looks like you havnt replated the cultures?When would you replate after the first signs of germ?I have left some for a year without replate.Should I replate sooner?And if you wanted to make more (clones) what media would you put it on next?Sorry for asking alot of questions and you dont have to answer them.They all look great,thanks BB.

Some of the explants have been re-plated; and others allowed to remain in the experimental media for a more prolonged period. Whether the plants are immediately sub-cultured after germination often depends upon what the goals are -- whether, say, axenic germination is the only interest at hand; or whether multiplication -- when actual tissue culture begins -- is the desire. In the past, my main interest was simply seed-grown Nepenthes plants and how I could maximize the yield of a batch of rare seed.

If multiplication was the plan, I'd experiment a bit with a media containing a conservative amount of both auxins and cytokinins (say, 2.2 µM 6-BAP and 2.7 µM NAA), perhaps even added coconut water (which contains a huge assortment of plant growth regulators), to encourage callus formation, since some Nepenthes requirements appear to be almost species-specific . . .

Here was a pleasant surprise for Christmas Eve; and several others have since begun to germinate . . .

Nepenthes villosa (Tambuyukon) 24 December

Villosa_zps2c69e18a.jpg

2 January
Villosa2_zpsfb555618.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is amazing, the tambuyukon form is my favorite. Congratulations!

Back