Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a good houseplant nep?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am suprised I haven't seen Miranda suggested... They are easy to grow, easy to find, get REALLY big, have nice pitchers, and are pretty cheap. I think it would fit the bill nicely....
    Check out my Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ellisonk001 View Post
    I am suprised I haven't seen Miranda suggested... They are easy to grow, easy to find, get REALLY big, have nice pitchers, and are pretty cheap. I think it would fit the bill nicely....
    the one i had didnt like low humidity like veitchii.....though if your humidity is decent its prolly a good one....ventricosa and hybrids with seem better at pitchering at low humidity and dont mind changes in environment that happen ina household environment....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh, now that you mention it, I would add N. mirabilis to the list based on my own experience. Your temps might be a tiny bit low for it, but it might be the most vigorous and forgiving plant I have in my collection, ventricosa and ventrata included (of course your mileage may vary).

I got mine as an unrooted cutting from another member here almost a year ago and did *everything* wrong. I got the cutting and put it in the fridge to "keep it fresh" until I put it in water to root. I added fertilizer to the rooting water and used tap water instead of RO. I didn't put the cutting under lights for the first week. By the time I got everything right, all the leaves on the cutting had begun to turn brown and the stem was getting crispy. Yet still, a few weeks later, not only was the cutting producing new leaves and roots, it was pitchering already! Since then it has been going full-steam, non-stop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote goes to Lady Pauline - it's a gorgeous plant that takes after one of my favorite neps: talangensis - the other parent is Maxima. Hardy, it pitchers well in a good deal of conditions, it is bushy and puts out basals regularly. It's a medium-sized plant and one that will do well in windowsills. Exotic Lady is another vigorous cross that uses maxima dark as one of the parents and it's larger than Lady Pauline. Both of them are fairly easy to procure.
    Last edited by Brokken; 10-24-2011 at 12:34 AM.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ellisonk001 View Post
    I find it does best in a warmer environment.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take a look at carnivore12's photo thread. All his neps are grown as windowsill plants and look awesome.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had good luck with my N. "Exotic Lady". It's the opposite cross of N. "Lady Pauline", maxima x talangensis. Here's a link to a pic of one (not mine). http://images.fotop.net/albums6/aver...xotic_Lady.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    ..... is Maxima. Hardy, it pitchers well in a good deal of conditions, it is bushy and puts out basals regularly. It's a medium-sized plant and one that will do well in windowsills.
    My BE N. eymae (aka: N. maxima) was a champ on my windowsill. it pitchered thru the low humidity of winter & the higher temps of summer - amazing plant. Also very cool shape imho.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast