What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

all vent x x TM's are Sabre's.. it's just a name for that cross.
That's also a veitchii x platychila, rather than a platy x veitchii.

I wouldn't touch the ceph. I love when they pile up like that..
Everything looks great.

all looking great tom,i thought sabre was a cultivar not cross ,would that be like saying all maxima x talang were lady pauline?,love your cantleyii getting big now

Thanks both of you! I thought 'Sabre' was just the original group from EP, though I've never really understood the point of naming just one group of a hybrid so I'll gladly call mine Sabre.

Take the name "Sabre" with a grain of salt.
Exotica has not revealed the exact pedigree of the grex, but our closest guess (and probably the correct one) is ventricosa x TM. BUT we dont know for sure...

To be on the conservative camp, I would only retain the designation of "Sabre" to those which have originated from Exotica, and not those outside of it. The reason being is because of pedigree (as stated above) and expectations of the grower. Imagine someone receiving a plant under the designation "Sabre" and later found out it was actually a seedling created outside of Exotica and made by Joe Schmoe--even if the lineage were exactly the same (assuming it IS ventricosa x TM), that grower could potentially feel swindled because of his/her expectations that this was to be from Exotica. Luckily for us though, most of the hybrids created by Exotica are one of a kind, and have not been replicated by others--so there are no complications in grexes...yet... also, consider that Exotica is also keeping certain lineages underwraps (think H. tequila) to prevent competitors from replicating those lines and calling it something else.

Could you imagine the type of chaos that would ensue if one of Exotica's competitors created an identical cross of their own, let's say a truncata x hamata and called it "Hamlet's Collar" instead? is it a "Predator" or a "Hamlet's Collar"? They would be right in doing so, since "Predator" is a grex only used by Exotica and isnt even registered... an even dirtier move would be registering a truncata x hamata cultivar under the name of 'Predator' and having no relationship to Exotica at all!

That being said, the non-negotiables with regards to names are natural hybrids ie S. x umlauftiana and cultivars N. 'Peter D'Amato'.... everything else is fair game. you can call it whatever you want, but personally i would first 1) stick with the name that the plant was originally designated with from it's source if known or 2) call it by it's pedigree if i'm not sure aka ventricosa x TM --this would help eliminate a lot of confusion and set up accurate expectations of the plant the grower intends to receive. These opinions are my own--how you chose to use the information is up to you. :)

back to the topic at hand: i do like your robcantlyi and your ceph looks quite healthy...have a great time in SE Asia. What will you be doing there if i dont mind asking?

never thought about it like that..
well put.

I've only had one N. "Sabre" here and it was a clone C from EP. So that was the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

I am a newbie but love the pictures you posted.. the name of the plants are beyon me right now learing more about them but the reddish ones catches my eye?

Thank you everyone! Swamp thing - that's probably the Ventricosa x xTrusmadiensis, definately one of my favourites!
Amphirion - that is a very valid point and whilst the person i bought it off thinks it comes from the original EP bunch I cannot be sure so I'll take your advice! I'm just travelling in SE Asia, i'm in my year out at the moment so i've been working towards it all year. I'll be spending most of my time trekking and gawking over temples (i'm studying archaeology at university next year so that kind of thing is my crack.)

Many months without an update. Having been in SE Asia for the past 4 months, I'm afraid I can't take much credit for the following pictures, it seems that my parents are better at this than I am!

The first set of uppers I've been graced with, N. Ventricosa x Ramispina

And the second from N. Maxima

This plant grew into a monster when I was away.

And sticky.

N. Ventricosa x xTM never disappoints.

I take this shot every time, but I love these teeth!

Bit of a wonky pitcher but N. Sibuyanensis is coming along nicely.

Lack of growth from N. Robcantelyi in the cold run up to spring, but judging by the jump in leaf size the next pitcher will be a big'un.

N. Aristolochioides x Ventricosa - I've become surprisingly fond of this tubby little plant!

Getting pretty crowded in the tank, I think N. Inermis x Bongso will have to go sometime in the near future.

N. Spectabilis x Mira steadily growing into a show stopper!

The plant that I'm most pleased by at the moment, N. Veitchii x Platychila (excuse the hand!)

H. Nutans x Heterodoxa has made a full recovery from 'sudden Heli death' on the windowsill

Thanks for looking!

wow Tom they look great,spec x mira is awesome and love the Veitchii x Platychila too,your folks should take up plant sitting they have done good, i have a small dwarf maxima seedling under lights i am considering moving it to a window sill now

Thanks a lot corky! I'd recommend maxima for a windowsill, it seems to deal with low humidity very well, and even a dwarf would quickly outgrow a tank/growspace!

Sorry kinda late for the reply about the N. Sabre directing to Mass' s post. N. Sabre, N. Black Dragon, Red Dragon, and Marble Dragon were selected clones of Ep's tc plants that they sold in batches back then. There were severals clones of Sabre in tc and ep never lable there Sabre clones. Ep have 3 clones of vent x tm, A, B, and C. Clone B have really wide flared peristome and A have wider mouth and C they had advertised as a mix of other vent x tm without distinct feature of A or B. When people refer to a clone C or B Sabre, they incorrectly labeling the vent x tm because there is no such clones of sabre. However, unless you have got a bunch of Sabre and u labeled them yourself for reference.
I have 2 clones of Sabre that were in the selected tc batch when Ep released them and they both looked different.

Back