What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this heat stress?

I have 3 neps growing side by side. When they arrived, the hamata and jac had much larger leaves but the newest leaf of each was quite small. I wasnt sure if they were subject to stress prior to shipping. Since then the jac has put out leaves of similar size. The hamata is putting out much smaller leaves, and the aristo is putting out bigger leaves but has stopped pitcher production.

My temperatures are fluctuating. They used to be 50 but now summer is starting to warm things up and nights can be 68. The plants sit on the open window sill in my room that I dont close so I think they're getting close to outdoor temps.

Humidity fluctuates between 50 - 80%.

The hamata is concerning me most since if this continues the growing tip might vanish... The other 2 seem in better shape but pitcher production on the aristo would be nice,,.... and the jac seems like it just needs to be left alone to fix itself.

May I ask for advice on the hamata?

IMG_20111108_081223.jpg

IMG_20111108_081232.jpg

IMG_20111108_081247.jpg

Could be heat issues or humidity issues, highly fluctuating humidity is not good at least in my experience.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Are these your first neps? What I dont understand is why you would be growing these plants on a windowsill.

What are your night time temperatures like compared to day time?

The night temps are around 15-20 celcius (60-68F).
The day temps are around 77 to 80F.

I turn on the airconditioning in the day because its getting warmer. Is it more important to prevent the day max temp from rising too high, or make sure there is a sufficient drop at night? Should I leave the airconditioning off during the day? Or would it be more beneficial to put the hamata in the fridge at night?

In my opinion those temps are far too warm at night, they should be down to 50*F (or cooler) year round for long term success. Mine are getting 40*F nights this time of year and are plenty happy. The day time temp is OK but could be cooler as well shoot for 70-75*F as your maximum. My days are between 60-70*F now.

With HL plants generally to err the side of cooler is a safer bet than allowing it to be warmer. Both these plants will appreciate high humidity in the the 80-90% range AND airflow. Right now you can save them if you start to give them cooler temps and worry about humidity if the new growth will not pitcher. If the temps at least are not remedied they will continue to get smaller and smaller until they simply vanish at the growing point.

Be advised that an Air Conditioner will suck the humidity out of the air so if the plants are exposed to direct AC air they will be getting a corresponding reduction in humidity, unless you are also running an ultrasonic humidifier with the AC to counter act the drying.

there looking reasonable now , pic2 was suffering from low light and humidity , with the brown or dark lines in the leafs older growth , the new growth on all looking much better , as previous post , use a water cooler to cool your plant the water cooler put much needed humidity in with the absolute must air flow .
My suggestion would be to increase the light to all your nep's , keep the humidity at min 60 to 70 %, keep good air flow like a fan or water cooler going most of the time , high land plant will sand very high temps, if you just keep that cool air flow , humidity up and misting over head , mine often have weeks of 40c plus days and night at 20 to 30 c , by keeping the water cooler and high humidity up all problems have been solved for me
J
just one very important point , is the cooler all so pushed the hot air out , of my green house allowing the lower areas to keep much cooler on the extreme days ,with water coolers the air must be able to push out , hence the misting is very critical to keep humidity up !

wow...been a while since I have been on this forum again...just been busy. thought I replied to this thread...wnated to add two more cents in.....

Initially i was planning on saying temps are the issue...yes....too high temps...no matter of humidity can do this. They did it to my jamban and jacquelineae. Plants became pickier as they grew older.

Also...N. mira did this...the media was an experiment...from local garden store...orchid media: Coco husk cubes and sphagnum....plant didn't like it AT ALL. looked water stressed and went downhill since I got it...kept growing but smaller leaves...change of media...and it seems to be increasing size finally.

Third...noticed on my macfarlenii....SCALE...scale can do this...check under leaf if there is any scale.

Ever since my previous post and getting all the feedback, I have started putting n hamata in the fridge each night. I stuck a thermometer in there and I was surprised to find how warm the fridge is. The front is 10°C, 50°F. I think this is suitable enough.

I take the pot and wrap it in a vegetable bag, seal off the top, and stick it in the fridge each night. I take it out the following morning. I think I can carry this on until it gets much larger and at that time I will either need to take cuttings, or look for another interim solution.

I will post again to update how it is doing, once it has grown a few more leaves over the coming months.

vraev: How large were jamban and jac when you say they became picky as they grew older?

Back