Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T8 vs. T12 VS. Twhatever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T8 vs. T12 VS. Twhatever

I have a couple nepenthes that i have in my dinning room set back about 12 feet from a big glass slidding door. During the summer, the plants would get about 4-5 hours of direct sun, and the rest of the day indirect sun. Well as we have moved in to fall they now get zero direct sun and all indirect. So I was wanting to get lights to suppliment the direct sun. so my question is should i use T8 or T12 or something else, how long should they be on, how far should they be from the plants? I did a search on the forum, but didnt see anything that matched my question. Any help would be most appreciated. thanks for your time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T8 or T5 would be ideal. More efficient than T12, T5 produce lots of heat though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both T8 and T5. Love the color the T5 gives the plants, but it does run hot. You want to put the lights as close to the plants as possible without burning the plants. I have all my plants 4-12" from the lights.
    Last edited by Frilleon; 11-09-2011 at 05:15 PM.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T5 all the way, baby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, since some of u like the T5, do u run T5 for ur whole light cycle and do u leave it on when ur not home

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run t5's on my des pings and vfts for 18 hours a day. starting at 1 am.. on a $30 powerstip digital timer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T8's work fine for all but the highest light plants, now that T5's are coming down in price im messing with them more but so far not seeing a significant improvement over T8's for Neps.......if i had more Heli's i think i could see an advantage.....not sure im gonna buy more T5's for plants though HO T5's seem pretty good for the saltwater tanks i have but im trying to push lots of light through water there....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run my 4 bulb T5 high output fixture for 12 hours/day in the winter and 14/day in the summer. You can leave it on when you're not home, assuming the wiring is done correctly. Although they do get a little hot, they aren't anything to worry about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast