Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on Fertilizing Neps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally use liquid fertilisers, which I apply as a root feed. I prefer these to slow release fertilisers, as I can control when the plants get them, i.e. more frequently in the active growing season. I use a urea free fertiliser, as they don't rely on soil bacteria in order to make the nitrogen useable to the plants. Many balanced general purpose fertlisers seem to have similar ingredients, in different concentrations, so I'm not very brand specific. Some contain additions, such as seaweed extract, but I simply add seaweed extract to my diluted fertliser if required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to use a 1/4 diluted liquid orchid fertilizer that I spray on the leaves. I did this to Nepenthes northiana over the summer at Meadowview and it started pitchering about a month later with several pitchers opening one after another, and nice pitchers at that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after many many years to many to remember using ferts with urea in them for neps , using low ratios so it don't burn or get to much growth stimuli into the neps and dont kill the live sphag moss making it go like green slime !!, i found a product called focus , with no urea , which i'm lead to believe is good for most orchids ?? , but i have found it not so good for neps , with focus orchid or native mix , you can use it all most full strength without any adverse affects on the nep's or the live sphag moss i use in my pots and growing among on my grow benches , i use live sphag moss as my indicators on how the plant s are doing temp, light and gereral heath wise , if you get sphag moss to grow like it dose in the wild then all is well in your green house , and i actually harvest my moss all year round , so i can only say the proof in in the use
    as far as osmocoat seen some pro growers use it in the coco chips mix for extra nitogen boost , but dont use it in live sphag moss , it kills it or turns it to green slime , any thing i feel that kills sphag is not for me , and not recomended for fert on neps !! , just my opinion , its up to every ones own experiences or growing conditions and what they use as a potting medium as well
    J

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I have been using Maxsea all purpose as a foliar feed at varying strengths (typically 1/4 to 1/2, but I have used it at full strength and no harm was done). However, I did notice, while using Grow More urea-free 20-10-20 as a root fertilizer at 1/4 strength, that the neps had a pretty substantial jump in growth. I also noticed that using Grow More in the pitchers killed them pretty quickly.. so it's up to you how you want to feed the plant. My personal opinion is that Maxsea is the safest bet if you're worried about overdoing the fertilizing, but Grow More urea-free also works very well when poured into the medium.

As for Osmocote, however: I haven't used it. I have been considering it, but there just doesn't seem to be enough out there on the subject, other than a few internet guides. Although what I have read seems to indicate that it works quite well. All in all, however, I haven't seen any of the pros really swear by it, so I'm not quite sold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    I prefer to use a 1/4 diluted liquid orchid fertilizer that I spray on the leaves. I did this to Nepenthes northiana over the summer at Meadowview and it started pitchering about a month later with several pitchers opening one after another, and nice pitchers at that.
    This is the most appealing account, in my opinion. I don't know about you guys, but its the little nepenthes that aren't pitchering that I worry about. I'm most tempted to use fertilizer on those guys!
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too usually use 1/4 strength orchid food on mine and occasionally use the same solution at the roots. In the spring through summer.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use full strength (typically 1.5 mS/cm EC), as a root feed, on Nepenthes and Cephalotus.
    Last edited by mobile; 11-20-2011 at 12:04 PM.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    I always use full strength (typically 1.5 mS/cm EC), as a root feed, on Nepenthes and Cephalotus.
    Hm... seems risky to me. If you use ferts at full strength, do you flush the pot out afterwards? And if so, how soon?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast