What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is fungal growth on seed harmful?

After five months, the first of my boschiana seed is popping out!

I have a quick question though, it seems that for the seed that I spread on peat Moss, there is this fungal growth that is appearing on the seeds. Is it threatening and should I try and remove it? Or is it harmless and I can just leave them alone in there?

It does not seem to appear on the seed that I spread on sphagnum moss but the problem with that one is it is alive and I think it will overgrow the seedlings after a while. I will need to trim it back and I might lose some of the seed in the process.

peat2.jpg

moss.jpg

peat.jpg

when putting nep seed down , first thing i do after wetting of cause is spry with a systemic fungicide , i use fonguard , and treat Evey month or as i see the fungus or mold appear , which can be often in warm temps like i have , if the fungus or mold take hold of your seed it kills it or make it sterile , i believe , ones i have had infected never germinated ever , but ones with out fungus or mould or treated did germinate well
J

Thanks mate. I'll try that. Any particular brand of fungicide I should look for if I cant find fonguard? I live in Canberra and I'm not sure all the brands are available here.

Do you use it full strength or dillute it? I'll try soon.

Sorry B.T
wrong spelling , its Fongarid by Garden King , you can find it in any Bunnings or large hard ware store or garden center , instructions in packet , its in 2 mg sashes its a systemmic fungiside too so works well

J

Brand names differ in different countries. What is the active ingredient ? Should be on the label.

Hi J,

I went out and bought myself some of that stuff. It was a bit more expensive than I had thought it might be but I need it to save my stuff so I paid for it and made some into a bottle.

The fungus collapsed almost immediately but I don't know if it was because of the fungicide, or simply because it was getting wet. Over the next few days I will have to take a look and see if it comes back or not.

I will keep the whole bottle of mixed liquid fungicide and maybe I can reuse it in the future. Does it spoil after a few months?

The fungus covered almost everything so the seeds look clean now but I wonder if any more of them will even grow or not. I may only be left with what has sprouted.

I still have a tiny bit of the seed left in the fridge that I have not yet planted but this original batch was harvested in May, and I had to wait for July when I moved to Canberra. Since July it has taken four months to sprout. I'm not sure if the ones in the fridge are viable or not.

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Hi bt
yes this is what happens , the mold disappears all most instantly , its great stuff , yes expensive but mate very very much worth it !, just a few things , don't put so much seed in one container , i would spread that amount over 3 or 4 containers , first if you get the mold it affects all the seed near to the infected one ,then spreads quickly , 2 its darn hard to separate them later , , 3, germination rates can vary a lot the faster ones can over take the slower ones , just what i have seen .
If your mold has affected your seed longer than a few weeks i feel that seed may be dead or sterile by now , they need to be treated the day its seen as soon as you see it , i check mine Daly some time 4 or 5 times a day , i keep that bottle close and use it often , as my green house is warm and very high humidity , ,if you give the containers good light is lowers the mold starting too i seen and helps with the seed growth , , from what i see here the more light they get the faster they grow , seem only natural , seen this in the wild too , the seed growing plant in the open grow much faster than the ones in shaded areas , being high land plants that is !! the lowii at Ganuung Murud ,one in heavy shad were a lot smaller than the one in open areas , same with hurrelliana and tentaculata too ,alls o seen this with rajah , murudensis and any others in the jungle high lands only , low lands are differnt and dont grow them here .just my obsviations in my travels there
J

Gosh that's a bad sign! Mold and fungus has been there for at least three months. I decided to do something about it now because I saw seedlings sprouting. I think that a lot of the seed is no longer viable if that's the case. I shall keep my fingers crossed and see what is going to sprout. Maybe what has germinated is all I'm going to get, but I shall wait and see.

Many of the above suggestions are quite valuable; but something I would add as a preventative measure in the future, is to inoculate your "pre-sterilized" compost with Trichoderma. Since I have used this measure, I have had no issue with pathogenic fungus with any of my Nepenthes or Heliamphora seed batches; nor have I had to treat compost with any fungicide in recent memory.

To echo snapperhead51, I would also thin the seeds a great deal to spread your risk -- something very commonly done in establishing tissue culture and good advice all around; and judging from some of the photos, the compost appears to be overly-wet . . .

thanks for the interesting product BB
will check this out , dont seem to find it here in AU at first quick search
J

Back