What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King X Queen Truncata help

Hi Everyone,
I am having a hard time getting my K x Q to produce pitchers, it was growing really well up until a few weeks ago. Until that point it was producing new leaves and starting producing new pitchers but they havent seemed to continue developing these last few weeks. I dont know if its just a slow growing or what because I have a N. Truncata growing in the same tank and its produced 3-4 pitchers in the same time. Anyone who has any experience growing this plant some advice would be great. Thank you.

Hi not knowing any of your set up or growing conditions , its very hard to make a judgment on what is wrong , how every , usually if the pitchers are not forming is dew to a few things , , light , temp and humidity, all or either can stop pitchering , seeing you plant is a low land i believe truncata x from BE , , your temps should be up round 30 to 35c , light quite intense , like full sun on a spring day , and humidity up round the 60 to 70 % constant , if you all ready have these conditions , have a look at your roots system , possible root rot ??
make sure your ventilation is very good too
if none of these then you need to look at other things , like over feeding , bad water , wrong potting mix , things like that
J

Agree with snapperhead. Did you change any of the growing conditions you've provided constantly to your truncata i.e watering, light, humidity, media?

It could be root problems, pest attacks, or media breakdown. As far as I know, truncata is quite a hardy guy. Takes some beating to really kill it.

I have actually been keeping the terrarium a little more wet with a reptifogger to keep the humidity up, so that might be the issue. I have 2 t5 light bulbs and a Compact Fluorescent, but my tank is 2 feet tall and the plants are at the bottom. I am suspected that the King X Queen is not getting enough light because the new leaves have grown upwards. The temperature of the tank is about 60-70 since the weather started cooling down.

think the truncs seem to love the light,maybe if humidity is higher watering maybe reduced,i messed up a trunc by over watering now i keep it dryer it is coming back

I have actually been keeping the terrarium a little more wet with a reptifogger to keep the humidity up, so that might be the issue. I have 2 t5 light bulbs and a Compact Fluorescent, but my tank is 2 feet tall and the plants are at the bottom. I am suspected that the King X Queen is not getting enough light because the new leaves have grown upwards. The temperature of the tank is about 60-70 since the weather started cooling down.

OK now we get some info , ,humidifier is not the problem , and hope you got a fan in there too of some sort or your going to get a hell of a lot of problems very soon !! just a small PC fan works well , one , your T5's ant going to produce any where near enough light for this plant , you could put 5 in there and still not enough , fluor's do not have the correct light spectrum or intensity , you will need natural sun direct or slightly filtered min 80%, or go to metal halide lighting with high blue and red colour spectrum's , if your tank is glass or plexy Glass or clear you all so need to cover all the tank with some thing white ,top and sides so the light is reflected back into the tank and not lost out wards , by not having the tank covered you loose may be 50% of the light going our wards and not on your plants , been there done this , there is a product called panda , that is black on one side and white on the other inside grower use it to reflect the light into the room with same intensity , hydro shops have it ,i used Polly styrene foam sheets 1/2 think for mine worked well and keep the warmth in too , have decommissioned all my tanks because they just done work for me any how,all plant back into green house where now they are booming again properly, !! with real sun !!and lucky we have plenty here , you may not be able to do this so you will need to make some adjustments to your tanks , try covering it first and bing the plant closer to the light ,i had mine with 4 lights only 6 or 7 in away , it will not burn then its not intense enough , you may see a slight improvement , on other thing you need to keep your tank at a temp of about 80 f to 90 + f , lower and the plants will be affected by cold, brown spotting on the leafs and leaf curl too this all so happen with low light , and when they get cold for a long time they either die or take months to recover , so fix that now !! sure this will work for you , other may have more suggestios as well , but this is what i found growing mine under lights
J

I actually find that my roayal truncata prefers lower light levels than my other HL neps, and that it is rather suceptible to sunburn.

And T5's do work very well...I grow all of my nepenthes under them with great success

And royal truncata is a cross of the HL form of truncata...it prefers cool temps...not warm.

Thanks for the replies, the tank has a lot of aeration so im not to concerned about a fan.. but like you said I think my plant just isnt getting enough light, especially that its about 18 inches or so away from the 3 lights. How can I heat the temperature of my tank because I am sure my plants will appreciate a little warmer temperatures than what they are.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Exo: How many lights do you have on your royal truncata and how far away is it from the lights?

mluk, your temperatures are fine for that plant. Just make sure it's getting enough light (as snapper said, add something to reflect the light onto the plants) without burning and you'll be fine.

mluk27

Heres a pic

Well it looks like it's forming some pitchers, so I'd just give it some time and you'll probably have some pitchers

So I guess the conclusion we have come to is:

Possibly a little root bound
Could use a bit more light, but isn't entirely necessary
Temps are fine
Humidity is fine
Consider more air flow

Otherwise, looks like a very healthy plant that just needs a bit more time to settle in.

well up to you , ervey one has different gorwing experiences as every where has different climates , you need to work out what works for you in your micro climate , ,guess you will find out soon enough
j

Yeah, in my experience, truncata QoH x KoS loves being a 'houseplant' and just faints at the though of getting any sort of special TLC. So, put it in a sunny window and water it once a week without special humidity, and give it that 10ish degree or so daily temp variance you naturally get inside of a house behind a sunny window :)

I actually find that my roayal truncata prefers lower light levels than my other HL neps, and that it is rather suceptible to sunburn.

And T5's do work very well...I grow all of my nepenthes under them with great success

And royal truncata is a cross of the HL form of truncata...it prefers cool temps...not warm.

Hi Exo , would you share a pic's with us please of your low light plant , I never seen a low light nep that has done well yet in 18 years , would love to see it please
J

Nroyaltruncata_11-11-11.jpg

The brown on the leaf is sunburn.....from being put too close to my 8 bulb T5 HO fixture....it happens with a few species, truncata is one of them. The newer leaves are ok since I moved it further away again, but as you can see, it pitchers nicely.

And that plant has a sunburn :lol:

I still don't believe its sun burn from fluro lights , they just any strong enough , have you light tested them against the sun light ?/ i did and no where near it !, sun burn turns the leaf black and it dies almost mediately , you look to have brown markings there , , in my experience is usually low light , low humidity or low temps , one both or all like this

P1120161.jpg

not sun burn but low light and cold temps.

you said the plant was high land , but i can not fine this reference , can you show me the reference to it being high land please
is this the plant you are refering too
N_20Black20truncata20Queen20of20hearts20x20King20of20spades.jpg

ref.
http://cpphotofinder.com/nepenthes-x-queen-of-hearts-x-king-of-spades-3950.html

will be away for 5 days now to cephalotus land on a field trip , please wait till i get back to discuss this more thanks
J

Both parents of this cross are forms of the Pasian HL form of N.truncata...I'm sure you've heard of it. ;)

And the first time I had this type of sunburn, it was on a sunny windowsill...iturns out it was from a shaded GH.....this is a second time....and it happened only after I moved the plant closer to the lights...ambient humidity is 70-80%, temps are 78F day, 65F night. The plant has experienced even colder temps without issue in the past...as I said, only happens in a certain distance of the lights, and my normal pasian truncata has had the same issue in the past.

Omg
You will be making a fieldtrip photo thread, right?

Back