Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes x 'Helen', new from BE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet! Please post more pics as it matures!
    Indeed. Most indeededly. Phillip J. Frye

My growlist.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a real beaut of a pitcher. Quite nice.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note that I have contacted Rob, as to my current knowledge N. 'Helen' has not been released except for a few plants available at Chelsea. BE does have a mix of clones from tc of the N. spathulata x spectabilis cross available. These however are not the N. 'helen' cultivar.

edit
    Oh almost forgot.. it would be N. 'Helen' not N. x 'Helen'. N. 'Helen' pertains to a single selected cultivar from the cross and is not a grex/hybrid name for any N. spathulata x spectabilis plant.
    Last edited by Tony Paroubek; 11-28-2011 at 05:46 AM.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Tony:
    Huh!?
    So, I bought this a couple months ago, and I was told, in personal correspondence from the owner, that this was a new import from BE, and that it was the cultivar introduced at the Chelsea. If I find out that the plant I paid a hundred bux for ain't THAT cultivar, I'm not going to be pleased.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 11-28-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: vendor name removed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    @Tony:
    WTF
    So, I bought this a couple months ago, and I was told, in personal correspondence from the owner, that this was a new import from BE, and that it was the cultivar introduced at the Chelsea. If I find out that the ****** plant I paid a hundred bux for ain't THAT cultivar, I'm gonna raise a royal stink.
    I understand and agree, hence my hesitation to say anything after checking my resources for some sort of confirmation that N. 'Helen' had been released commercially. I could find no reference they had indeed done so, other than the mention in the press release a few seedlings would be available at Chelsea and it would be widespread available in 2012..

I will also add that I think the whole notion of what to call Nepenthes hybrids has become blurred now with increased useage of a grex system. Is it a name to be applied to the group of seedlings? Is it a name to be applied to a specific plant?? etc etc
    For example N. briggsiana vs N. 'Peter D'Amato'

or perhaps this one:
    BE-3291 and 3300 N. x Singapore GardenTech
    vs
    BE-3292 N. 'Singapore GardenTech'

Although at first glance appears to be more confusing, if you know what to look for it is in fact very clear. The first denotes a grex/hybrid name for any of the seedlings from 3291 and 3300 by virtue of the X and no single quotes, while 3292 is a single selected cultivar (no X and single quotes).

The N. spathulata x spectabilis plants are labelled as such on the BE lists and in no way, shape, or form is the word Helen attached to them. So at this point one can only assume that Rob is mistaken and they did send N. 'Helen' plants to a distributor OR the distibutor took it upon himself to relabel plants something they are not, either on purpose or mistakenly thinking it was simply a grex/hybrid name and ok to do so.

I have contacted Rob regarding this thread as well as the link to the vendor's site. I can say with certainty that Rob will be extreamly upset if indeed someone is marketing the plants by something other than what they are, regardless of the reason!

I will let you know when I find out more.

Tony
    Last edited by xvart; 11-29-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are the man, Tony.

Thanks for all the good work.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick update. I have heard from Rob and the plant in question is correctly identified, much to my relief and to Whimgrinder I am sure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is definitely GREAT news!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast