1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Whim! You lucked out then!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHEW! Man, bet that had your heart racing there for a few, Whim. lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Folks,

Firstly, Whimgrinder (nice name!) you can breathe easy. Contrary to what I had told Tony, when I went back through our correspondence I found we had released just a very few of the 'Helen' cultivar to the Distributor you bought your plant from so his honesty is not in question. In hindsight, this was an error of judgment on our part, when we realised that we would not be able to supply other Distributors too, due to low nursery stocks at the time. So he got lucky and I do not blame him in any way - it was entirely our misjudgement. Usually we do not release anything new until there are at least 120 plants of sale quality in stock and more on the way, so we can supply at least some to every Distributor who wants it. If any of our other US Distributors are reading this, I can only apologise and say that it won’t happen again.

However, on the upside, we can all watch Whimgrinder’s plant grow and presumably there will be a big demand for this cultivar when it's finally put on general release. It's fast and easy and will be readily available in the spring. We showed one a couple of weeks ago at the World Orchid Conference in Singapore which had a much larger pitcher than the one shown at the Chelsea launch with Helen Mirren. It’s a fabulous plant IMO, although some do not like the relatively floppy lid. A matter of taste I guess.

Thanks Tony for the clarification to everyone on the hybrids and cultivar thing. But to make it more complicated, Martin Cheek (noted Kew taxonomist) has told me that if we name something like Nepenthes x Singapore GardenTech it is not proper. It should have Latin ending like Nepenthes x Singapore Gardentechii or Nepenthes x Singapore GardenTechiana and then it also should be described in Latin, Ugh!

We have a selected clone of Nepenthes x Singapore GardenTech (the clumsy name “Singapore GardenTech” by the way came from the show at which this hybrid was first shown). After several years of testing, the Dutch have just this November released a selected clone we are calling Nepenthes ‘Bloody Mary’.

But now I'm rambling..... it's an age thing
    Last edited by Borneo; 02-10-2012 at 04:32 AM.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for popping on Rob! I know how busy you are trying to answer my flood of emails LOL

Great photo! Always takes my breath away to see the stunning Dutch greenhouses.
    Hmm I like Bloody Mary. I bet you could sell a bazzillion in China for new years though calling it Lady Luck!
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, for issuing a statement about this cultivar. I am indeed greatly relieved to know that I have "the real deal". I don't know how many plants are left at the place I bought mine, but I have a hunch they won't last long now!
    Rob, I'm having a hard time imagining N. 'Helen' Pitchers that look even better than the Chelsea display plant. Wow! That 'Singapore Garden Tech' is a very nice looking plant too. Only 8 months out of TC?? Now that's what you call vigor!

Regards,
    Paul

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the sound of 'Scarlet Pimpernel'!

Thanks for the heads up on this Rob. I bet you anything that vendor will sell out so quickly if he hasn't already...
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But to make it more complicated, Martin Cheek (noted Kew taxonomist) has told me that if we name something like Nepenthes x Singapore GardenTech it is not proper. It should have Latin ending like Nepenthes x Singapore Gardentechii or Nepenthes x Singapore GardenTechiana and then it also should be described in Latin, Ugh!
    Why would a Hybrid/Cultivar/etc. be Latinized? When I made a hybrid cross I wanted to name it N. Dominus and told a few folks when I sent out seed (sterile ), and the ICPS guy sent me an email and complained that it should never be "so close to Latin" (but then what about N. Dominii...) What's the deal with all this back and forth - just taxonomist bickering?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw, and I was hoping folks would think that was a BE nursery That shot was taken in approximately the middle of the greenhouse - more impressive from one end - and they are all carnivorous plants.

One nursery we visited (not carnivorous plants) puts out millions of plants per year with just 12employees, none of whom are in sight. It's just unbelievably big and every now and again a huge mass of plants would spookily rise up by themselves and trundle off on railway tracks to get fertliized or automatically repotted. The only pathways are on these tracks and if a trolly comes your way, when it gets close to you it senses your presence, stops and then backs off beeping quietly to itself and then the computer sends it to it's destination via some other route, avoiding you. It's just eery. If it went wrong, the only way not to get run down would be to fling yourself onto the benches. Then you'd probably get automatically fertilized or repotted.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast