Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Grounds as Medium?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you search through the forum you will find that coffee is used on occasion as fertilizer solution for neps. But planting the plant into pure ground stuff will be an overkill IMO. Try it and keep us posted.

P.S. My 500th post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I have to reiterate that I intend to use it only as an addition to a mixture of more commonly used media.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a plant that you don't care about, by all means, do it and show us the results. But as the previous comments suggest, you may just be in for a dead plant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have mentioned, use coffee in solution only as an occasional fertilizer and not as media. Doing so would not only kill the plant but encourage algae like you've never seen . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used to use a very thin top layer of used coffee grounds and my plants showed no ill effects from it but then again this was a few years back so i dont remember much from it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THat would still kill the plant. When people use coffee they flush the roots right after to prevent buildup of minerals.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As everyone else has already said, this may not be a good idea. But I'm with some of the others that say you should try it and report back to us.

It's not unfeasible that a small percentage of coffee grounds in your soil mix could give your Nepenthes a kick. Or it might be too much of a kick. This also all depends on how strong your grounds are, how much you've used them, etc.

Try it with a ventricosa or something for the sake of science. Or maybe I will!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent tried it nor would I. If the coffee doesnt kill the plants then the infestation of mold you're gonna have will. Ever forgot to take the coffee filter out of you coffee machine? I did and it wasnt pretty; bought a new coffee maker.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast