Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coffee Grounds as Medium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nep Lover View Post
    i used to use a very thin top layer of used coffee grounds and my plants showed no ill effects from it but then again this was a few years back so i dont remember much from it

Hmmm... I actually have one with coffee grounds on top of the medium but not mixed in the medium and I did it with my N. Miranda. It has grown two big leaves since then (about a month and a half ago). I didn't have any problem with mold or algae cause the coffee grounds were always the first to dry out (in between watering).

What I want to know really is if I can use the coffee grounds mixed IN my usual mixture. I was just curious to find out since I read that coffee grounds can provide additional nitrogen to the soil and cause it is used as a medium (not just fertilizer) to other plants.

I use coffee grounds from Starbucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typical media that is generally used for any plants are not used for growing nepenthes because the mineral content of the media is naturally high. And dangerous to nepenthes. I would say that using coffee grounds mixed with nepenthes media would burn the plant. Perhaps, to normal plants, they thoroughly benefit from such a mixture but remember that nepenthes' roots live in low nutrient level soil. They can take some fertilizers directly to the root but only to a certain extent.

Furthermore, liquid coffe is used as a fertilizer and as what I've heard, it isn't applied regularly and at a strong dosage. However, I do not coffee fertilize so I will not 'assume' that I know the pros and cons, the good and bad of coffee fertilizing. Once again, in my opinion, coffee grounds is waaaay too strong for nepenthes to handle. And it's a firm and strong opinion

Of course, if you're willing to try and prove me wrong, go ahead! S'far as I know, nobody has done it yet, you would be the first
    Edward

My Growlist
    My Twitter page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of speculation, but there does not appear to be any definate conclusions of the effect of coffee grinds as a soil additive. Without performing an experiment, it is likely to stay as speculation and opinions

I do agree that mold could be an issue; certainly mold grows in the drip tray of my expresso machine if I do not clean it out regularly.

I regularly use fertilisers on my Nepenthes. However, they will have a tolerance level, as do all plants. There will also be compounds in coffee grinds that are not in regular fertlisers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    people plant fungi in coffe grounds, so fungi love it and would most likely kill the other plant in the mix. Yet as others have said experiment, prove us wrong. Use a extra ventrata or something you have spares of.

I have some planned experiments inthe future. I just have to buy the medea and I am off to the races. If it work then I would never have to repot and no breakdown of media. It could be a wonderful thing. Just would have to over pot to not get too root bound.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is NOT a good idea. your coffee grounds will make it 1 maybe 2 weeks and will start growing mold!

but in all means if you feel the need to try this, try with a plant you least care about. because 9.9 chances out of 10 it will die!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I will research some more on this one since I've been getting a lot of violent reactions. Hahaha... I will also try doing an experiment maybe with my alatas since that's what I have plenty of. I will post again after a few months.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123