What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red mulch and Neps

So, my HOA hired a company to come out and mulch the area. Instead of moving my potted nepenthes, they decided to dump the mulch all over my plants.:censor: After some research, I am concerned that the mulch may contain properties that may be toxic to my plants. I’ve removed the 2+ inches of mulch from each pot but there is still some mulch left behind. Do I need to repot the plants? Does anyone have any experience with red mulch and neps?

Thanks

tell the hoa those are irreplaceable and they owe you 500 bucks a pot those jerks id go over with a bat lol well i hope everythings ok with your plants

First, what is the difference between red mulch and say shredded Cypress or Cedar mulch? I use the shredded Cypress mulch on my Nepenthes in large pots that need aeration and mixed in with my vivarium soils with tender plant and animal inhabitants and there is no problem with that kind of mulch but I dunno if there is anything different in the colored stuff, or what sort of wood the colored stuff is made from. But natural Cedar and Cypress are both fine with Nepenthes.

Second, how long has the mulch been on the plants? If they have only just been topped just take it off the tops of the pots and repot them if it's been there through several waterings and you're concerned the red mulch has leached something into the soil. I like live moss to be growing ontop of my pots, so I wouldn't want mulch covering the top of my pots either.

Knowing that the internet is filled with information and, unfortunately, misinformation and disinformation, it appears that the wood used in red mulch is sometimes recycled or salvaged wood that was pressure treated with chemicals. Then you have the dye which is listed as non-toxic but does that include neps? Honestly, it’s probably perfectly safe but I wanted to know if anyone has personal experience using it.

I use cypress mulch and orchid bark often in my soil mixes, depending on the plant, but this red mulch is different. Again, it’s probably fine but why take the chance? I’ll play it safe and repot.

Thanks

Back