User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Min-Max temps for nepenthes Bellii & campanulata ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever thought of a false bottom with water? You could use an aquarium heater placed sideways to heat the water bellow the plants, in turn heating the terrarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my luck, I ran up to Wally world to buy a cheap heating pad. Come home hook it up, put my thermometer in the tank and life is good, temp is slowly rising. About an hour later the temp is dropping ? What the heck ? I then figure out this stupid heating pad has an automatic shutoff after an hour ! Just my luck, thankfully it was only $12 wasted !

I have thought about a false bottom, but messing with stagnant water, plus loosing growing height in the 55 gallon aquarium kept me from going that route. I have the tank sitting on a nice wooden aquarium stand I have plenty of room underneath to come up with a heating source of some sort.

Need to sleep on it, any other ideas ? Like I said it is sitting on a typical 55 gallon wooden stand with doors on the front. I have options for putting heat in there, I'm still thinking about my heat lamp idea, but I do agree with 31Drew that it is probably not the most economical way to go.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan walmart should take it back no problem, and you can buy a different heatpad. The one I bought was from walmart.

This is the one I have, and doesn't have the annoying auto off function. This one is 12"x15", but they also sell a 12"x24" one which would probably be better for your application.

http://www.sunbeam.com/ca/productdet...cid=7&pid=5477

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    Dan walmart should take it back no problem, and you can buy a different heatpad. The one I bought was from walmart.

This is the one I have, and doesn't have the annoying auto off function. This one is 12"x15", but they also sell a 12"x24" one which would probably be better for your application.

http://www.sunbeam.com/ca/productdet...cid=7&pid=5477
    Thanks ! Your right, they should take it back no problem, I need to find one of them like you have.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And these heat pads... whats the caution when using around water? i have cracked aquarium glass before from heat lamps too close, and misting.

so whats gonna happen when i have a heat pad on the bottom of an aquarium and am misting constantly... minimal moisture getting through the substrate, but its getting through none the less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heating cables under the aquarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive never had a problem with the glass cracking... mine is under an aquarium, but has a false bottom with about 1" of water always in the bottom, so misting/watering etc never changes the waters temperature any noticeable amount. I would avoid getting it wet, but looks to be sealed fairly well and getting lightly misted shouldnt cause a problem.

Another option like WireMan mentioned is heat cables, which you could wire to a dimmer switch. I have seen people make their own heat pads with heat cable covered in a thick (2cm) layer of epoxy to seal it. These were used inside monitor cages to heat the soil for appropriate nesting, underneath wet/moist dirt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12