Informational! Informational!:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: N. campanulata appreciation thread!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my Campanulata. Just noticed some yellowing on the center of a few of the leaves. What do you think, is it serious?

Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has it been experiencing cooler temperatures lately?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. I have a heated terrarium with temp set at 28C (82.4F) day / 20-22C (68-72F) night. Also the blackening pitcher is weird, and on one side only? Could it be a sudden drop in humidity?
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. campanulata -- on the left is a rooted basal of a reddish clone from MT and on the right is a BE clone.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, is that yours, Clue? That's gorgeous!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Clue I see burnt earth as media!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice setup there, Clue. Interested on the media type as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I have updates, too.

This one is the best photo:

More at my blogpost on N. campy.

I've found that it really responds well to limestone chunks in the media. I do think that there must be something in the limestone which promotes growth of this species, as it has certainly responded very well to the limestone.

(On that photo above, some of the leaves look a bit damaged. That's from an inadvertent cold snap. The newest growth is back to normal. The moral of the story is don't let your lowlander tank get down to 55 F).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Wow, is that yours, Clue? That's gorgeous!
    Hey Zu, yeah, it is, although I can't take any credit in the N. campanulata plants as they're recent acquisitions. Putting the arrangement together was certainly fun, I should have taken some pictures of the process (especially smashing the tufa for the miniature cliff). I fear that as the plants get larger, the aesthetic probably won't be as effective, but that is if I don't kill them first!

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    @Clue I see burnt earth as media!
    Sharp eye, Cindy. Burnt earth isn't available in the US, but the vendor I bought the BE plant from actually brought back a few bags of burnt earth from Singapore to test on the species (he wasn't having much luck before in sphagnum mixes). Pete: His mix is burnt earth with Orchiata (pine bark infused with dolomite), which I simply transferred into the planter. It's been interesting trying to figure out a watering schedule for this mix.

Quote Originally Posted by NatchGreyes View Post
    I've found that it really responds well to limestone chunks in the media. I do think that there must be something in the limestone which promotes growth of this species, as it has certainly responded very well to the limestone.
    Do you have other plants of the species in more conventional sphagnum mixes, Natch? I'm not trying to be dismissive of the limestone addition, but I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on what the species actually needs and it could just be that your plant took a while to settle in to the new conditions before taking off. On the other hand, the vendor I received the BE plant from claimed that N. campanulata would grow well in sphagnum mixes for several months before a slow but inevitable decline and credits the high mineral content (he said water flushed through it was ~200 ppm I think) and looseness of burnt earth for his more recent success. I really have no opinions on the growing medium for N. campanulata, but I wasn't willing to throw away usable mix (especially when burnt earth isn't something you can get again stateside).

Also Pete, any updates on your plant? I had a few outdoor Nepenthes plants several years back that were dropping roots because it was too wet and they had similar damage.
    Last edited by Clue; 06-11-2015 at 01:08 PM. Reason: words
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    Do you have other plants of the species in more conventional sphagnum mixes, Natch? I'm not trying to be dismissive of the limestone addition, but I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on what the species actually needs and it could just be that your plant took a while to settle in to the new conditions before taking off. On the other hand, the vendor I received the BE plant from claimed that N. campanulata would grow well in sphagnum mixes for several months before a slow but inevitable decline and credits the high mineral content (he said water flushed through it was ~200 ppm I think) and looseness of burnt earth for his more recent success.
    I do not have other plants of the same species. I do, however, have several different campy hybrids. Obviously, that's not quite the same. Anecdotally, however, the hybrids with limestone are performing better than the ones in a more traditional mix.

I concur with his assessment that most pure campys grown in a regular sphagnum mix do decline slowly in time. Many start the decline with slightly smaller leaves which are also more brittle than one would expect. In time, the plant sort-of peters out. (Of course, there are exceptions and you can find those readily online).

I would not be surprised that the plant would do well in burnt earth. It appears to be similar to the native "soil" of the cliff-faces. It should also leech minerals at a fair pace. (Much faster than limestone, I would think).