Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: N. campanulata appreciation thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a long lasting thread.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, 19 pages is moderate. There have been several well over 100 pages.....
    Still have yet to acquire a campanulata, but I've got a couple hybrids involving the species here and there, most notably my merrilliana x campanulata which is pitchering mainly on the basal at the moment
    N. merrilliana x campanulata by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Only the young pitchers have the real campy shape; mature pitchers are fat and tubby, and retain only the ghosts of campanulata in pitcher profile, peristome detail, and of course color.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still searching for a Merrilliana x Campanulata myself. I got a Campanulata x Maxima (from AW if I remember correctly) last year and it's been doing great. However the pure Campanulata is not. I suspect it has to do with the temps, too low in the winter.
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How low are your winter temps pmatil?
    I love the smell of nep pollen in the morning..........smells like victory

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lowest was about 20 C (68 F). My last chance is to try if it likes room temp and a bit higher humidity like my cephalotus.
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmatil View Post
    The lowest was about 20 C (68 F). My last chance is to try if it likes room temp and a bit higher humidity like my cephalotus.
    20 degrees as min? that sounds more than sufficient. And what it drops to in the limestone cliffs of Mulu, where they grow. So I don't think temps are the problem.
    I love the smell of nep pollen in the morning..........smells like victory

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Red Lowii. Thought they need warmer nights as it's an Ultra Lowlander.

I really am lost here as to what is it that Campanulata does not like in my conditions. Too high humidity? It's always over 70 %, at night close to 90 - 100 %. I had it in LFS/perlite of about 1:1 ratio. Lighting is 12 h/day. Other neps in that terrarium love the conditions. Oh and the daytime temps are max. 28 C controlled by the heating system (a bit higher in the summer when in my appt can be 28 so 29-30 in the terrarium). I have also lost Bellii twice and I have no idea about that either. It's also an UL.

The key may be understanding why the leaves show yellowing in the center part, like in this pic:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have aquired some lime stone and have planted the Campanulata in a new pot with limestone around the roots as well as some live and chopped sphagnum. Time will tell if the plant likes it or not. I have also moved it from my lowland terrarium into a smaller one with my cephalotus. Room temp, a bit higher humidity than usual. Fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. campanulata

N. campanulata BE

N. campanulata BE

N. campanulata BE

N. campanulata BE

I'm hoping my BE N. campanulata will flower soon. My clone has very uncharacteristically long tendrils and slim pitchers, which I haven't seen in many plants of this species.

N. campanulata Red MT

N. campanulata Red MT

And my red MT clone. I've had it longer than the BE clone but it seems pretty comfortably tiny (although I do feed it).
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmatil View Post
    Thanks Red Lowii. Thought they need warmer nights as it's an Ultra Lowlander.

I really am lost here as to what is it that Campanulata does not like in my conditions. Too high humidity? It's always over 70 %, at night close to 90 - 100 %. I had it in LFS/perlite of about 1:1 ratio. Lighting is 12 h/day. Other neps in that terrarium love the conditions. Oh and the daytime temps are max. 28 C controlled by the heating system (a bit higher in the summer when in my appt can be 28 so 29-30 in the terrarium). I have also lost Bellii twice and I have no idea about that either. It's also an UL.

The key may be understanding why the leaves show yellowing in the center part, like in this pic:

Hey Pete, I agree with Red Lowii that temps sound good; N. campanulata does well at pretty average room temperature. I think that part of the problem is media composition and moisture. Your plant might be overpotted (so it stays too wet) compounded with a mix with too much moss (too acidic and not enough air). That being said, I've found the thing that sets back Nepenthes the most is too much disturbance (especially too much fussing and repotting). How did the roots look when you repotted it?

Also, it seems that the term "ultra-lowland" has been catching on for the past few years but I still don't really understand what it means when people claim N. campanulata is one. Growing N. campanulata, which grows on cliffs well above the forest canopy (~400 masl), is a very different deal than 0 meter peat swamp species like N. bicalcarata. N. bellii is notorious for hating disturbance, but I've never personally grown this species.
    Last edited by Clue; 06-30-2016 at 05:15 PM. Reason: double quote
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog