What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

very interesting! It really is a beauty! All the campy [actually N. campanulata] x truncata here in the US that I've seen have been green and boring. You seem to have gotten quite a gem. Congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Mason :) I just found a link showing the truncata and campanulata clones used to make this hybrid. I found it very interesting and thought some of you guys might wanna check it out too, so here it is: http://lhnn.proboards.com/thread/2189

Botanical description of N. campanulata...

IMG_4591_zps661c1556.jpg

IMG_4592_zpsd0cac7d3.jpg

IMG_4593_zps8ff5a80f.jpg

IMG_4595_zps0a1df021.jpg

IMG_4596_zps4e2980f4.jpg

I'm back! After 2 years (I killed my Camp [actually N. campanulata]seedlings) I have now acquired another plant. Hope this one makes it. The cloudy pic is because of the plastic bag the plant is in. It has already started to grow and is trying to make a pitcher. Looks good, even it has been only 2 weeks.

I've just read that Camp[N. campanulata] is not easy to grow. So we'll see... Didn't know it would be challenging although I'm not a beginner either ;)

N_Campanulata6.jpg

Nice plant! How big are the pitchers? It looks really tiny from your picture.

My two camps[actually N. campanulata] have been doing well in 2 mixes (1 basalt:1spag:1sand:1peat, and 2spag:1sand), tall 30cm pot in a 3cm tray and a 12cm tall pot with daily misting.
The big thing seems to be sun, my plants refused to pitcher in anything less than 4hours full sun, but they tolerate low humidity (50%), they seem like a fairly easy species, one is in my greenhouse at dads the other in a polyhouse here with me, about 140km apart, temps so far have been as high as 40C and as low as 8C, no issues.

I am waiting for my flowers on one to open so I can see what sex it is, I am hoping female as the only other nep I have in flower is a male N. maxima x alata and a mirabilis male.

Yeah Sarah, I killed them. There were only 2 though. I got them bare-root, size about 1 inch accross or less. Don't know what exactly killed them, may have been light and/or humidity shock. For this one I'm extra careful :)

Tanukimo, the size is about 1.5 inch accross. It is tiny. It's making a pitcher now, looking good :)

Adelea, thanks for the info. Interesting that you use sand and peat... I thought of that. We'll see how this one grows in LFS/perlite.

My baby is doing great. Opened its first tiny pitcher and the newest leaf jump looks promising.

N_Campanulata7.jpg

Just arrived, N. "Carmen" (spathulata x campanulata)

N_Carmen2.jpg
'
N_Carmen3.jpg

I have (spathulata x campanulata) x ventricosa "red" seedlings, though they are slow growers and it will be a while before we see how they turn out.

I am surprised there are not more recent photos in here considering the influx of BE camps [N. campanulata] lately. I really need to stop procrastinating and just buy one lol.

I have been trying some alternative substrates for rooting N. campanulata cuttings. Peat, perlite and vermiculite mix (1:1:1) seemed to work well. The cutting was just beginning to root in water when planted. It grew nicely and had a good root system in a month. Then I sent off the plant so couldn't test it further.
IMG_4599_zpsa2a0913f.jpg

IMG_4626_zps13ca7a8f.jpg

Recently I tried 100% cocopeat and initial results are good. I planted three cuttings, two in cocopeat, one in milled sphagnum for comparison.
IMG_20140814_090620_zpsea120501.jpg

I find phagnum is always reliable for me.
IMG_20140814_090734_zpseaf540ca.jpg

With cocopeat, the roots can't be seen from below. But unlike sphagnum, cocopeat washes off very easily. Root system looks comparable so far.
IMG_20140814_090846_zpsb430e851.jpg
IMG_20140814_091413_zps9d8435d2.jpg

I also tried fertilizing through the roots. I waited till the sphagnum and cocopeat were almost dry, then saturated the substrates with a 20-20-20 soluble fertilizer (Hyponex) at 0.5 g/L (i.e. 100 ppm N). After a couple weeks the root tips are still alive and growing, which is promising.

Last edited:
And my latest acquisition, a pigmented male clone of N. campanulata, supposedly with thick peristome when mature. It's a keen flowerer, blooming for the second time now even when still tiny.
IMG_20140714_110828_zps6ac44c7f.jpg
IMG_20140714_110657_zps0a107580.jpg

I'm hoping It'll turn out half as nice as the pigmented male clone with thick peristome that EP uses in their breeding. (http://www.exoticaplants.com.au/admin/uploads/big_campb.jpg - link from cpphotofinder)

And here it is with an all-green female clone from BE.
IMG_20140714_111557_zpsabf8cd83.jpg

Breeding pair of campanulata (sorry, can't recall if I posted this already).

N. campanulata

I would absolutely love to have a breeding pair of a species like that, nepenthes produce so many seeds.

Breeding pair of campanulata (sorry, can't recall if I posted this already).

N. campanulata

Please please make species seed of campanulata in cultivation. We have enough hybrids. It would be awesome to have more diverse clones of amazing species like these. :)

Please please make species seed of campanulata in cultivation. We have enough hybrids. It would be awesome to have more diverse clones of amazing species like these. :)

Right there with you, Varun ;)

Last edited:
An after picture of the N. Campanulata in the picture above:

N_Campanulata10.jpg

N_Campanulata11.jpg

Last edited:
Back