Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Toleration

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave my nepenthes in trays while im gone for 2 weeks which is close to "flushing".

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flushing them after fertilizing by running water through the pot for 5-10 minutes will be no problem. 30seconds to 1 minute will be plenty to flush the pot though.

I have accidentally left Oncidium type orchids sitting completely submerged in water up to the base of the plant for approximately 36hrs with no troubles, and they like to be much much drier than Nepenthes. In other words, I cant see leaving Nepenthes soaking wet for 48hrs or so being problematic assuming the media is allowed to dry to the normal water level.

I noticed you said when you mist it leaves the LFS soaked. Depending on how long you are misting for, the media in the middle is not soaked, but just damp. The same can be assumed of the opposite.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now they are in 4"w x 4"l x 5"h pots, so would one cup of RO be sufficient to flush them out? Sorry for bombarding you guys with so many questions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Right now they are in 4"w x 4"l x 5"h pots, so would one cup of RO be sufficient to flush them out? Sorry for bombarding you guys with so many questions!
    No problem...questions are good...yes, that is enough water to flush them.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 1 1/2 cups would be better

Honestly though, I would let water pour out the bottom for 10 seconds or so... then let it finish dripping and replace it back in the tray or where ever you keep them. Really its trial and error though, need to figure out what works for you in your conditions.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    No problem...questions are good...yes, that is enough water to flush them.
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    I think 1 1/2 cups would be better

Honestly though, I would let water pour out the bottom for 10 seconds or so... then let it finish dripping and replace it back in the tray or where ever you keep them. Really its trial and error though, need to figure out what works for you in your conditions.
    Thanks guys! The medium is lightly moist, but not dry, so I'll fertilize in a few minutes.

Another question... How long after fertilizing should I wait before flushing? Is two days enough time?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly it sounds like you may be over thinking it just a little bit.

Nepenthes soil should just be moist at all times, it can be really wet for a while, and dry out to pretty dry, but not bone dry. But really I think you will find out how simple it is soon.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I've notice, after a week (give or take a day or two) where any nepenthes' media are continuously wet to waterlogged, they tend to slow down their growth. After that, it's varies amongst species and hybrids of how the plant reacts. Some just stay flash frozen without any growth or drying up. Some make continuously smaller leaves after that. The thing is, once the leaves and stems start blackening from the bottom (the roots), that's the most serious case and usually it is really hard to recover a nep afterwards.

As for how I water them, I really cannot advice much about it because I'm staying in the tropics where I grow my nepenthes outdoors! I water them every 3 days or so by hosing them with water until water flows from the bottom of the pot. Furthermore, during the hot and dry season of my tropical Malaysia where temps can sky rocket up to 33*C, I'd have to water my neps daily! It's worth noting that I use burnt earth and peat moss which does not possess the water retention level of long fibre sphagnum.
    Edward

My Growlist
    My Twitter page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12