User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 11

Thread: Two Neps, One Pot

  1. #1
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Two Neps, One Pot

    Is it possible to pot two different nep species together? I got my first neps a few weeks ago and I love them. I'm going to eventually order more. The problem is, the greenhouse I have (will be set up next week) is only 6x8 and I'm going to hang the neps in baskets. The baskets are like $10 each and I don't want to spend nearly $20 (basket + medium) to pot one nep every time I get new ones. Is there a reason why I can't pot two or three in the same pot, as long as the pot is big enough? Can this only be done with same species, or can it be done with say a truncata and a ventricosa?

  2. #2
    mass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of course. I've got pots here with 3 or 4 different species of nep in it. Just a matter of space is all.

  3. #3
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    of course. I've got pots here with 3 or 4 different species of nep in it. Just a matter of space is all.
    Great! Thanks.

  4. #4
    Neps_N_Things's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind though that if the roots grow together (which they certainly will if left in the same pot long enough) you could have problems seperating the two plants later.

  5. #5
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neps_N_Things View Post
    Keep in mind though that if the roots grow together (which they certainly will if left in the same pot long enough) you could have problems seperating the two plants later.
    True, but if I repot them every 9-12 months, I don't think they'll have time to grow across at 12" pot though, right?

  6. #6
    Whimgrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,875
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why on earth would you plan to repot them every 9 months once you have them in large hanging baskets Nepenthes can happily grow in the same container for years, if you have the media mix right. Considering how expensive Nepenthes are, the purchase of the containers, even at $10 apiece, is negligible.

  7. #7
    mass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neps_N_Things View Post
    Keep in mind though that if the roots grow together (which they certainly will if left in the same pot long enough) you could have problems seperating the two plants later.
    indeed. But I usually separate them before they get too big for the pot.

  8. #8
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Why on earth would you plan to repot them every 9 months once you have them in large hanging baskets Nepenthes can happily grow in the same container for years, if you have the media mix right. Considering how expensive Nepenthes are, the purchase of the containers, even at $10 apiece, is negligible.
    When I was keeping orchids, it was suggested to repot often, every 9-12 months. I won't be changing the pot, just the medium. It does make sense that the can use the same medium since they grow in typically poor soil in the wild... Or so I read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •