What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hl day time heat

• Thread starter corky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pots
a quick question for nep growers,i just purchased a micro waverble heat pad for my elderly dog ,but instead of lying on it he has made it his enemy and is trying to kill it,i was wondering if i could put it to good use under my hl tray of neps to boost the day time temps,is this a bad idea to heat the pots from underneath,i thought when i removed it i could get a bigger difference in day and night temps also,it should give off heat for over 6 hours,would be gratefull for any advice

Usually the goal of people who grow highland plants is to lower the temp, not increasing it. For me anyway, 80*F is the absolute maximum I will tolerate with my highland plants. Unless you grow your plants in a fridge, you shouldn't need to supplement heat...

my house struggles to get in the 60's in the day when i am at work i do not have the heating on so to you maybe my house is a fridge,only in the winter

From what I read, there should be at least 10F difference between day and night temps. My day temps now is about mod 60'sF and night temps from high 40"sF to 50's F depending on how cold it is outside. I have mine in a 10 gal tank on the window sill in the basement with a small crack opening on the window. My spectabilis was not growing at all this summer. Now, with the greater diurnal temp change it is slowly but surely pitchering. Part of the daytime heat is from a CFL close to the plant and I cover the tank with Saran wrap to conserve the heat and humidity.

i really want to no weather heating from below is a bad thing during the day but thanks for the reply

If it's just a couple months that it is so chilly they should be ok. Long term they may grow very slowly, or pout. Ideally, I like my highlands to have warm days, 75 to 80, with nights in the 50's. What are your night temps like? Ultrahighlanders would probably like those cooler day temps.

my night temps are in the low 50's i just wanted to try and get the day temps closer to 70 than 60,these cold day temps will last a good 3 or 4 months,i think it slows the growth,the heat pad idea i thought was a cheap way of raising them,i do not no if neps like warm roots in the day

I don't think nepenthes would appreciate having their roots heated up first before the stem and leaves.....

cheers that is what i am asking ,maybe i did not explain myself,thanks for that i thought it was too easy

Are the neps in a terrarium? If so you could put the heat pad inside the terrarium, or if you have lights put them directly on the top (assuming you have a glass top of some sort)

good advice thank you

my night temps are in the low 50's i just wanted to try and get the day temps closer to 70 than 60
Sounds like a potentially good idea. You may want to also purchase a cheap digital aquarium thermometer so you can monitor the temps in the root zones as well as the overall tank air temps. You definitely do not want to overheat the roots in your quest.

Back