What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the difference between truncata 'royal' and truncata Q x K?

Just confused by the two names. ??? Thanks.

same.
Q= queen of hearts, K = king of spades
so their progeny are called royal truncs. also go by black truncs.
black truncs also include the Q and K though.

Last edited:
nothing really... Royal is just a short name for Q X K (since they are queen and king).

isnt royal (Q X K) just the black variation of truncata?

No, they're the progeny from 2 specific parent plants, "Queen of Hearts" and "King of Spades". Hence "Q x K" or "Royal". 1 plant 2 names.

Yes I know that... But arent the parents black truncatas? Hence couldnt i theoretically call my sg plant truncata"black"?

thank all of you for clarify it.

I think only the 'King of Spades' is the real black truncata.

I believe you are correct mato. I've seen pics of the Queen and she has a huge red peristome and red pitchers.

I don't know even though the Queen isn't really completely black, I still think that might qualify as a black truncata, seeing as most others are green or light red or something.

Either way! Awesome plants. The creators of this cross must have known what a pain it would be to say "Queen of Hearts" x "King of Spades" every time. I'm surprised they didn't create their own abbreviated name for it.

There is a recent thread on pitcherplant forums that will clear all this up if your up for a read. Start in page 7 i believe.

From Rob Cantley:

"All our 3 mature plants - including the QoH and our two males KoH and KoS - are parent specimens we raised from seed of the original wild collection from the black N. truncata. We took no plants or cuttings from the wild. This is why it took us 10 years to start breeding these plants. Out of the approximately 3,000 seedlings we raised, from the only grex of seeds we have produced to date, we kept back 300 plants in our nurseries which are now typically 30cm across and also have exactly 550 separate clones in the lab. So far we are seeing only very slight differences in morphology, consistent with typical slight variability within a stable species and no evidence at all of hybrid origin. If anyone has a plant that is aberrant I would be interested to know. Colouration varies somewhat with the plants we have but all are dark to a greater or lesser extent on both pitcher body and peristome. Some are nearly entirely black (KoS is a good example of really black).

Some confusion may have arisen because N. truncata – Pasian comes from the exact same location as the black N. truncata. However, they flower at very different times of the year. We had to make several trips to the site to get seeds of both".

I guess that clears up any confusion.

I don't know even though the Queen isn't really completely black, I still think that might qualify as a black truncata, seeing as most others are green or light red or something.

Either way! Awesome plants. The creators of this cross must have known what a pain it would be to say "Queen of Hearts" x "King of Spades" every time. I'm surprised they didn't create their own abbreviated name for it.

Truncata "Prince"?

Back