User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 21

Thread: Nep ID?

  1. #9
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Be careful with that thing, I got one just a few months ago and now it looks like this:


    (There's a N. 'Miranda' behind the plant in question...)

    It's got like 5 vines going all over the place. Haha. I don't mind it, though, it looks so... wild. Wild as an natural, not wild as in crazy. XD
    Whoa, that looks awesome! Hopefully mine will grow as quickly as that.

    ---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    The pitchers won't need filling with water and/or fertiliser. Pitcher fertilising can reduce their life. They will fill themselves with fluids. Nepenthes accept root fertilisation, but for now I would leave it exactly as is and just keep the soil moist.
    Alright, will do. Is there a standard of how many months should be waited before repotting?

  2. #10
    mobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Posts
    1,070
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Alright, will do. Is there a standard of how many months should be waited before repotting?
    I'm an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' kinda bloke. Why do you want to repot a plant that is doing so well in it's existing pot?

  3. #11
    Whimgrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,875
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Just say NO to repotting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Alright, will do. Is there a standard of how many months should be waited before repotting?
    I agree with the others: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. These plants prefer as little root disturbance as possible, and so you only want to repot when/if 1) the plant has outgrown its current pot, or 2) the media has broken down so badly that it is damaging the roots. There is no magical number that determines the number of months between repottings, you just watch and observe the plant's growth and health. Nepenthes have a very small root system, and it has been demonstrated, in fact, that species in their natural habitat, when they reach the vining stage, sometimes turn into epiphytes, abandoning their earth-bound roots.

    Your plant looks fine it its current pot and I suspect it has been potted into its current media recently, and won't need to be disturbed for another year, maybe more. There's little point in traumatizing the roots while the plant is acclimating to your home ;-)

  4. #12
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    I'm an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' kinda bloke. Why do you want to repot a plant that is doing so well in it's existing pot?
    I'm have mild OCD, so I would feel better if all of the hanging baskets matched. This ventrata and my ventricosa x talangensis will be potted in 12" hanging baskets and they will be hung in my greenhouse. I can always keep it in this pot temporarily, but at some point it will need to be repotted to please me.

    ---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I agree with the others: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. These plants prefer as little root disturbance as possible, and so you only want to repot when/if 1) the plant has outgrown its current pot, or 2) the media has broken down so badly that it is damaging the roots. There is no magical number that determines the number of months between repottings, you just watch and observe the plant's growth and health. Nepenthes have a very small root system, and it has been demonstrated, in fact, that species in their natural habitat, when they reach the vining stage, sometimes turn into epiphytes, abandoning their earth-bound roots.

    Your plant looks fine it its current pot and I suspect it has been potted into its current media recently, and won't need to be disturbed for another year, maybe more. There's little point in traumatizing the roots while the plant is acclimating to your home ;-)
    Well said. You've convinced me to leave it in its current pot.

  5. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I'm have mild OCD, so I would feel better if all of the hanging baskets matched. This ventrata and my ventricosa x talangensis will be potted in 12" hanging baskets and they will be hung in my greenhouse. I can always keep it in this pot temporarily, but at some point it will need to be repotted to please me. [COLOR="green"]
    I too like everything to match up, is it possible to just slip this pot inside of a pot to your liking ? If you go to a bigger pot you like, you can slip this one inside of it and fill the air gap with a very well draining media like orchid bark or pumice or any other airy mix.
    Dan

  6. #14
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan d View Post
    I too like everything to match up, is it possible to just slip this pot inside of a pot to your liking ? If you go to a bigger pot you like, you can slip this one inside of it and fill the air gap with a very well draining media like orchid bark or pumice or any other airy mix.
    Dan
    Good idea. It will be a few weeks before it's warm enough to put them in the greenhouse, but I'll try that when the time comes for them to be moved.

  7. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your acquisition of a nepenthes x ventrata this was the first nepenthes that i had ever bought

  8. #16
    mobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Posts
    1,070
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ragoonaths View Post
    Congratulations on your acquisition of a nepenthes x ventrata this was the first nepenthes that i had ever bought
    As was the case for many growers, I'm sure. This plant is found in many of the large garden centre chains in the UK - usually mislabelled as Nepenthes alata.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •