Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nep ID?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ragoonaths View Post
    Congratulations on your acquisition of a nepenthes x ventrata this was the first nepenthes that i had ever bought
    It's a very nice plant. Even though the pitchers may not look amazing, it's still really cool. I even green pitcher neps. I suppose it's just the coolness factor of a carnivorous plant!

Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    As was the case for many growers, I'm sure. This plant is found in many of the large garden centre chains in the UK - usually mislabelled as Nepenthes alata.
    Sadly, this one wasn't labeled, hence the reason for this thread. They must have got it from a really good supplier though. This looks 1000 times better than the usual Home Depot plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Sadly, this one wasn't labeled, hence the reason for this thread. They must have got it from a really good supplier though. This looks 1000 times better than the usual Home Depot plant.
    I suspect many of them look better before they get into the store. I got mine from the bargains shelf for 2 ($3USD) because they had killed all of the pitchers. I had seen it a few weeks later looking similar to the one in your picture. A bit of TLC and I had it back to regular pitchering and it has now spent a few years on my kitchen windowsill, where it vines like crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    I suspect many of them look better before they get into the store. I got mine from the bargains shelf for 2 ($3USD) because they had killed all of the pitchers. I had seen it a few weeks later looking similar to the one in your picture. A bit of TLC and I had it back to regular pitchering and it has now spent a few years on my kitchen windowsill, where it vines like crazy.
    This one was in a "greenhouse" room with barely any light and it had a heater blowing straight on it from the roof. The humidity was very low and so on. It looks great for what it's been through!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ventrata is a weed and will grow in a glass if water. Ive seen it. Just dong let them get bone dry and it is happy. Even when mine did in straight peat, if still bounced back. That is a resilient cross. Mine is long long over due for re-pot. Yet it still has 20+ growth points and more pops up when I take cuttings.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    Ventrata is a weed and will grow in a glass if water. Ive seen it. Just dong let them get bone dry and it is happy. Even when mine did in straight peat, if still bounced back. That is a resilient cross. Mine is long long over due for re-pot. Yet it still has 20+ growth points and more pops up when I take cuttings.
    Wahoo! This is good news. I can practice cutting so that I won't mess up on propagating my truncata or my ventricosa x talangensis. Hopefully these don't mind slightly cooler/warmer temperatures than they prefer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123