User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queen of Hearts is a species in its own right!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it would have been nice for the article to call the plant N truncata 'Queen of hearts' that was then changed to ghd new name. What was new about it that saparates it from truncata?? There is no more royal truncata if this is true. It is now a hybrid. I would like to see more. Also read more from other nrpenthes "experts" on the mater
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Im not sure to why but it is a VERY exotic genetic flaw in the truncata species, so that is probably why they decided to name it a species. Too bad it wont be commercially available until next 20 years or so.
    you could imagine that if it did become commercially available the excitement would probably dwarf that of when the Nepenthes truncata QOH x KOS were first released

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they didn't show any pictures of the actual QoH plant, use the word Nepenthes once, or even say a ything about it being a truncata. Did a botanist write this or did someone just want to troll the people who are going to get there plants to eat them?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. robcantleyi

Quote Originally Posted by ragoonaths View Post
    The Queen of hearts is a species in its own right according the article it's new name is Nepenthes Robcantleyt you could read the whole article here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ower-Show.html
    Something to bear in mind is that although the article cites only the 'Queen of Hearts' clone, that is not the only plant representing this "new species"; the other so-called "royal" clones are from the same population of plants raised from seed by Cantley. That means that if one of the clones is going to be assigned a new species designation, then all of the royal clones will (pardon my choice of phrasing) follow suit. Furthermore, that means the 'Queen of Hearts' X 'King of Spades' seedlings will all be redesignated as seedlings of N. robcantleyi, not N. truncata.

Many species undergo a renaming process over time as we learn new things about them and our tools for assessing species traits become more sophisticated; it's a fluid process. Nothing to get upset about, really. What does it matter if all of these "royal" seedlings sent into commerce suddenly turn into N. robcantleyi instead of N. truncata? Does that devalue the plants in any way? Not to my thinking it doesn't. If anything, the people who have bought these seedlings can now claim to be among the first to have this spectacular new species in their collections. For some, this will elevate the value of the plants. In fact, I won't be surprised if the cost of these goes up now!

Now, before we get ahead of ourselves, let's keep in mind that this is just a newspaper article, and we shouldn't assume that just because one botanist thinks this deserves distinct species status that the community will accept that decision and apply it going forward. I think multiple "authorities" will have to weigh in on this before we should accept it as a "done deal". Then there is always the remote possibility that this is just a marketing ploy to push sales of the remaining seedlings available. I wonder how many of the 3000 seedlings BE raised are still unsold?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is very interesting...makes you wonder if those major nep propagators already know something that we dont know...

"Some confusion may have arisen because N. truncata – Pasian comes from the exact same location as the black N. truncata. However, they flower at very different times of the year. We had to make several trips to the site to get seeds of both"

implications here are big ones. if you guys havent caught it, the implications are that 1) nepenthes are capable of flowering consistently every year, and 2) flowering schedule is also species specific.

holy crap. now to find what those specific triggers are.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a surprise to me, I had long ago heard that nepenthes typically flower every year, and each species can flower at different times of year.....what I don't know is what triggers are required.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Im not sure to why but it is a VERY exotic genetic flaw in the truncata species, so that is probably why they decided to name it a species. Too bad it wont be commercially available until next 20 years or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragoonaths View Post
    you could imagine that if it did become commercially available the excitement would probably dwarf that of when the Nepenthes truncata QOH x KOS were first released
    I'm not really entirely sure why it deserves new species status but if that is true, both the King and Queen are members of that extinct population, so all royal truncata would be members of this new species.

It's pretty strange, I was doing some research yesterday about this cross and a lot of reading, and then I wake up to see this thread!

Odd...

I too, would be quite interested to hear what taxonomy justifies this plant being a new species.

Either way, I'm glad I got my greasy paws on one.

*waits patiently for borneo to chime in and let their excited customers know*
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The picture showing the N. truncata is not even of the The 'Queen of Hearts'. The QoH is a single plant and the pitchers are not green like that. I wonder how authentic the article is.
    Cindy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast