User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queen of Hearts is a species in its own right!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dailymail.co.uk is a common enough news site if you read RSS aggregates so it's a "real site".

The average joe-reporter doesn't know a Nepenthes truncata from a Utricularia fulva nor do they know/care how to spell it, Queen of Hearts is easy to remember and spell. I don't know what makes it any more than a subspecies or distinct form of N. truncata however...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Acurite View Post
    they didn't show any pictures of the actual QoH plant, use the word Nepenthes once, or even say a ything about it being a truncata. Did a botanist write this or did someone just want to troll the people who are going to get there plants to eat them?
    Hah I noticed that also. They screwed up a lot of stuff. Same thing happens with aviation stories in the press. They consistently outright lie about things but present them as facts.

Anyway, cool news if it does indeed end up being true.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the king of spades is of the same group the queen of hearts is? Interesting. I still would love to still know more.

And btw. This process may be fluid, and plants get shuffled all the time, but it leads to confusion. Especially in the orchid world when they move whole groups of plants and many different hybrids have been made.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copied from Mr. Cantley himself, over on pitcherplants.proboards

"Good grief! What an awful newspaper article! I gave a long telephone interview to an intelligent journalist from the Independent a couple of days back, so I do hope that some better and more accurate articles will be forthcoming - PLEASE!

Firstly and fore-mostly, Paul, this really is not some sort of marketing ploy. We sold pretty much all the seedlings ages ago and tried to keep the price reasonable so that it could be spread far and wide. We kept back 300 plants but actually they are already sold, we’re just holding them until the project that bought them is ready to take them. It’s been interesting though, as they are mature enough now to see that there is very little difference in morphology between individuals, so we’re not dealing with a hybrid here. Martins paper goes into this in some depth.

I, and every taxonomist who has seen the plants, have known this is a distinct species for many years but until it was published, we couldn’t talk about it, as we knew it was being described elsewhere and it became a race to publish. Martin's paper will be appearing in the December issue of the Nordic Journal of Botany (NJB) any day now but an abstract is already available

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...449.x/abstract

Martin Cheek actually wrote the paper 1 years ago and it’s taken that long to get it published. If you see the entire paper – which will be downloadable free I believe from the NJB website - he refers in the paper to our most recent Chelsea appearance being in 2010. So slowly do the cogs of academia turn!

The paper goes into detail of course as to why this is a new species. Not just the fact that it has wings on the pitchers when N. truncata does not, or that the peristome ribs are so widely spaced but the flower is different and the glandular structure under the lid is utterly different, being pretty much identical to N. veitchii and nothing like N. truncata.

As to the name, I didn’t have an inkling what name Martin would choose until after the paper was written. Can’t say I mind really.
    So, it’s time to change your labels I’m afraid!

Merry Christmas everyone and happy New Year!

Rob"

Read more: http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/i...#ixzz1hidwXpV6

So it looks like it is a seperate species after all, cant say im too surprised as i have even noticed differences comparing my QoH x KoS with my pasian plant....
    pretty exciting actually

i guess in accordance to Mr. Cheeks description, the plants are referred to as Nepenthes robcantleyi sp. nov.

time to write new labels...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!

I own a new and endangered species. 8|
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found a far better newspaper article http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...s-6281537.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, congratulations to Rob Cantley! (and my apologies for suggesting this might have been a marketing ploy!)Tthis is quite exciting to have these individuals recognized as a distinct species, and a bonus to get it named after you. Kudos to Dr. cheek for recognizing the subtle differences that suggested this was a previously unknown species. I'm sure everyone lucky enough to have one of the seedlings is thrilled with this news.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool,Iam tempted to buy a couple more now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast