User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queen of Hearts is a species in its own right!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Queen of Hearts is a species in its own right!!

The Queen of hearts is a species in its own right according the article it's new name is Nepenthes Robcantleyt you could read the whole article here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ower-Show.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be really cool if the article is legitimate. It's one my personal favorite plants and is one of the highlights of my collection. I think "robcantleyt " is probably a typo, it would probably be "robcantleyi". Keep us posted on any further info you find.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! I know this is a silly question, but exactly what distinguishes it as a separate species? O_o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i think that Nepenthes Robcantleyi is the correct spelling not Nepenthes Robcantleyt

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_N View Post
    Very nice! I know this is a silly question, but exactly what distinguishes it as a separate species? O_o
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Pretty exciting that it's a new species.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_N View Post
    mato77429 posted this quote from Rob Cantley last week. It may shed some light on the designation of it as it's own species due to it's extremely close proximity to the Pasian Highland locale yet sharply varying characteristics and flowering season.

"All our 3 mature plants - including the QoH and our two males KoH and KoS - are parent specimens we raised from seed of the original wild collection from the black N. truncata. We took no plants or cuttings from the wild. This is why it took us 10 years to start breeding these plants. Out of the approximately 3,000 seedlings we raised, from the only grex of seeds we have produced to date, we kept back 300 plants in our nurseries which are now typically 30cm across and also have exactly 550 separate clones in the lab. So far we are seeing only very slight differences in morphology, consistent with typical slight variability within a stable species and no evidence at all of hybrid origin. If anyone has a plant that is aberrant I would be interested to know. Colouration varies somewhat with the plants we have but all are dark to a greater or lesser extent on both pitcher body and peristome. Some are nearly entirely black (KoS is a good example of really black).

Some confusion may have arisen because N. truncata Pasian comes from the exact same location as the black N. truncata. However, they flower at very different times of the year. We had to make several trips to the site to get seeds of both".

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really wish they'd gone into more detail as to why Dr. Cheek considers it a new species. Nonetheless, the news is exciting.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Pretty exciting that it's a new species.

Im not sure to why but it is a VERY exotic genetic flaw in the truncata species, so that is probably why they decided to name it a species. Too bad it wont be commercially available until next 20 years or so.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast