What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tendrils

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
My N. x Ventrata came with some old pitcher and others are browning. Should I cut the tendril? Should I let them naturally fall off?

Also, can leaves produce more than one pitcher in their life time? For example, in a year from now when the plant pitchers again, will the leaf produce another tendril with another pitcher?

And another newbish question... Do Nepenthes pitcher year-round, or do they only pitcher in certain seasons? Or is it different for different neps?

They pitcher year round (unless affected by growing factors). I would only trim the pitcher away when it has fully dried up. Sometimes, the top half of the pitcher dries up while the bottom half remains alive. This shows that the pitcher is still functioning to digest it's prey (it won't catch insects anymore though). The pitchers won't naturally fall off either.

And yes, as Paul mentioned, a leaf will only produce one tendril with one pitcher at it's end. There are some weird mutations where 2 tendrils and pitchers form from 1 leaf at one go, but this is extremely rare and is not consistent.

Thanks guys, that answered all of my questions perfectly! :)

Back