What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't worry, you weren't surprised with an ultra-highlander like I was, and a rare one at that.

Don't sit the Neps in water, they like a well drained, airy soil and hate sitting in water. I won't seal it off either, they like air circulation. You could have it raised above a tray of water, so it doesn't actually come in contact with the water.

Don't worry, you weren't surprised with an ultra-highlander like I was, and a rare one at that.

Don't sit the Neps in water, they like a well drained, airy soil and hate sitting in water. I won't seal it off either, they like air circulation. You could have it raised above a tray of water, so it doesn't actually come in contact with the water.

My Peter Damato x Maxima was sitting in a tray with 1/2" of water and it seemed really happy. It's soil had perlite and was very airy, but it is covered in a layer of thick, non-airy moss (not sphag) that prevents major gas exchange. It looks great how it's potted and didn't seem to mind the wet feet. ???

I guess I could raise it a tiny bit above the water's surface somehow though, which will solve all the issues. I guess that's better than taking the risk of rot. :blush:

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I would not put in a dish of water just out of the possibility of root rot which will kill any plant it strikes.

I also wouldn't seal it, because I almost think that might have been part of the reason mine didn't survive because the air flow might not have been good enough. If I were you, I would try and have the day temps be 75-80, the night temps be about 50 degrees, and mist it a few times a day.

I'll move it into the greenhouse then. Right now, it's in a 30g sealed terrarium with 80-90% humidity. 64-68F night, 72-76F day. Definitely not ideal conditions, but I don't have a heater and it's getting down around 35F at night. Not sure how cold the greenhouse gets at coldest, but according to my hi/low thermometer, it gets down to 41F at coldest in the greenhouse, however that may not be accurate. How cold of temperatures can these guys tolerate? I would like to move it outside ASAP, but I don't want to freeze it. ???

It will rot eventually. I basically treat mine like orchids, but don't allow them to dry out. Neps are far removed from the requirements of any other CP in regards to soil and water.

It will rot eventually. I basically treat mine like orchids, but don't allow them to dry out. Neps are far removed from the requirements of any other CP in regards to soil and water.

I won't get any more until I'm sure I won't kill them lol. I won't let them sit in water, but I'll keep them above the tray of water, just to keep high humidity. I have two shallow trays I can fill with water, and I have two neps that really need the extra humidity - singalana and ventricosa x talanensis.

Airflow might not actually be that crucial, none of my Nepenthes at the moment get good airflow, but it certainly does help.

It sounds like your greenhouse might just get too cold at the moment. What you could try doing is having it in the terrarium, open the lid every day for air exchange and then see if you can't find a colder part of the house that gets down to 50's. Perhaps a cold window? Basement?

Back