Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going Shopping

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    I would have gone for N. burkei. Mine is growing faster than N. maxima at room temps. N. ramispina is another good option to consider for later.
    To be honest, I'm not really going for a particular species. I don't really mind if it grows like a weed, as long as it doesn't grow as slow as a rock. I went in looking for pretty plants. If I saw one I liked, I checked the price. If it was in my budget, I asked if it was easy to keep. If it was easy to keep, I got it. If I find a burkei or a ramispina that I like for a good price, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice first choice of plants, I would keep a particularly close eye on the N. singalana, those can be very finicky and its one of the only plants that ever died on me without ever growing.

Keep the night time temperatures low for that puppy, and the humidity up.

The other plants being hybrids and complex hybrids will hopefully be easy and fun for you.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Nice first choice of plants, I would keep a particularly close eye on the N. singalana, those can be very finicky and its one of the only plants that ever died on me without ever growing.

Keep the night time temperatures low for that puppy, and the humidity up.

The other plants being hybrids and complex hybrids will hopefully be easy and fun for you.
    Crap, now I feel pressure on my to not kill it. I really like it lol. It should like my nighttime temperatures in the greenhouse and the humidity of the terrarium... Idea! What if I put it in the greenhouse in a sealed fish tank, so that way it gets light and cool nighttime temps! Or I could sit it in a large, shallow dish of water to keep up the humidity around it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not put in a dish of water just out of the possibility of root rot which will kill any plant it strikes.

I also wouldn't seal it, because I almost think that might have been part of the reason mine didn't survive because the air flow might not have been good enough. If I were you, I would try and have the day temps be 75-80, the night temps be about 50 degrees, and mist it a few times a day.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, you weren't surprised with an ultra-highlander like I was, and a rare one at that.

Don't sit the Neps in water, they like a well drained, airy soil and hate sitting in water. I won't seal it off either, they like air circulation. You could have it raised above a tray of water, so it doesn't actually come in contact with the water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, you weren't surprised with an ultra-highlander like I was, and a rare one at that.

Don't sit the Neps in water, they like a well drained, airy soil and hate sitting in water. I won't seal it off either, they like air circulation. You could have it raised above a tray of water, so it doesn't actually come in contact with the water.
    My Peter Damato x Maxima was sitting in a tray with 1/2" of water and it seemed really happy. It's soil had perlite and was very airy, but it is covered in a layer of thick, non-airy moss (not sphag) that prevents major gas exchange. It looks great how it's potted and didn't seem to mind the wet feet.

I guess I could raise it a tiny bit above the water's surface somehow though, which will solve all the issues. I guess that's better than taking the risk of rot.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I would not put in a dish of water just out of the possibility of root rot which will kill any plant it strikes.

I also wouldn't seal it, because I almost think that might have been part of the reason mine didn't survive because the air flow might not have been good enough. If I were you, I would try and have the day temps be 75-80, the night temps be about 50 degrees, and mist it a few times a day.
    I'll move it into the greenhouse then. Right now, it's in a 30g sealed terrarium with 80-90% humidity. 64-68F night, 72-76F day. Definitely not ideal conditions, but I don't have a heater and it's getting down around 35F at night. Not sure how cold the greenhouse gets at coldest, but according to my hi/low thermometer, it gets down to 41F at coldest in the greenhouse, however that may not be accurate. How cold of temperatures can these guys tolerate? I would like to move it outside ASAP, but I don't want to freeze it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will rot eventually. I basically treat mine like orchids, but don't allow them to dry out. Neps are far removed from the requirements of any other CP in regards to soil and water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will rot eventually. I basically treat mine like orchids, but don't allow them to dry out. Neps are far removed from the requirements of any other CP in regards to soil and water.
    I won't get any more until I'm sure I won't kill them lol. I won't let them sit in water, but I'll keep them above the tray of water, just to keep high humidity. I have two shallow trays I can fill with water, and I have two neps that really need the extra humidity - singalana and ventricosa x talanensis.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast