Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going Shopping

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going Shopping

I'm going on a major nep shopping trip in a few days... Well, my first nep shopping trip, anyways. I am looking to get some forgiving ones. One that are resilient in cooler and hotter temperatures, ones that humidity swings won't kill, ones that like lots/little sunlight.

I did some research on highlanders that would fit my conditions. The entire list fits my conditions at least fairly well. The ones labeled medium were on the list in case I fell in love with the plant and absolutely had to have it, but they were labeled medium due to mainly humidity, which I can eventually provide for when I get a fogger installed.

Nepenthes burkeii Very easy (Highland)
    Nepenthes copelandii - Easy (Highland)
    Nepenthes hamata 6+ = Easy/Medium (Highland)
    Nepenthes khasiana FREAKING PERFECT (Highland)
    Nepenthes lowii Easy/Medium (Highland)
    Nepenthes macrophylla Easy/Medium (Highland)
    Nepenthes maxima Easy (Highland)
    Nepenthes rafflesiana Easy (Lowland)
    Nepenthes veitchii Easy (Intermediate)
    Nepenthes vogelii - Easy (Highland)
    Nepenthes sanguinea - Easy (Highland)
    Nepenthes singalana - Easy (Highland)
    Nepenthes talangensis - Easy (Highland)
    Nepenthes alba - (Highland)
    Nepenthes gymnamphora - (Highland)
    Nepenthes specatabilis - (Highland)

Are any of those out of question for a newbie, even if they fit my temperature range? Are there any that aren't on there that would be a good choice for a beginner?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowii, hamata, singalana, and macrophylla are pretty picky when it comes to temps and humidity, none are beginner plants. I even struggle with singalana. The rest of the plants on your list look good though

And one more suggestion, you would have trouble growing highlanders and lowlanders together. It just dosent work well.
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found burkeii and gymnamphora to be a difficult plant oddly enough for no reason that I could figure out. Spectabilis never did anything for me either when I got it when I was starting out... hamata, talangensis and macrophylla want higher humidity, singalana Tujuh and Belirang never grew any pitchers for me (and still don't), and lowii is so slow that it might be not worth it If you get vogelli, it's more of an intermediate and will sulk if you keep it in HL conditions. The rest are simpler to grow I think.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    I've found burkeii and gymnamphora to be a difficult plant oddly enough for no reason that I could figure out. Spectabilis never did anything for me either when I got it when I was starting out... hamata, talangensis and macrophylla want higher humidity, singalana Tujuh and Belirang never grew any pitchers for me (and still don't), and lowii is so slow that it might be not worth it If you get vogelli, it's more of an intermediate and will sulk if you keep it in HL conditions. The rest are simpler to grow I think.
    Basically these to make that easier
    Nepenthes khasiana FREAKING PERFECT (Highland)
    Nepenthes maxima Easy (Highland)
    Nepenthes rafflesiana Easy (Lowland)
    Nepenthes veitchii Easy (Intermediate)
    Nepenthes vogelii - Easy (Highland)
    Nepenthes sanguinea - Easy (Highland)
    Nepenthes alba - (Highland)

I don't know much about neps but I'm following this threadtoo, to learn some haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say off your list to begin with these:

Nepenthes burkeii
    Nepenthes copelandii
    Nepenthes khasiana
    Nepenthes maxima
    Nepenthes rafflesiana
    Nepenthes veitchii
    Nepenthes sanguinea
    Nepenthes specatabilis

they should grow rather quickly and are all relatively easy in that they are not high altitude Highland temperature requiring plants, most would be considered intermediate lowlanders who grow perfectly well at household temps. Good for beginners. The others you choose require cool days and cold nights with very high humidity to ensure reliable high quality pitchering and are (for the most part) very slow growers and wind up being "boring" to beginners IF they are able to keep the plants alive past 3-6 months. Sadly most beginners underestimate the temperature needs of HL Nepenthes and their plants perish.

You don't state what your temps are going to be tell us the following:

Day temps night temps summer

Day temps night temps winter

Humidity

Amount of light

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefallen13 View Post
    Lowii, hamata, singalana, and macrophylla are pretty picky when it comes to temps and humidity, none are beginner plants. I even struggle with singalana. The rest of the plants on your list look good though

And one more suggestion, you would have trouble growing highlanders and lowlanders together. It just dosent work well.
    The lowlander I listed was said by the Nepenthes University to be able to withstand varying temperature range, as well as temperatures down to 35F for a few weeks, which is perfect for winter. And it likes my hot summer temps. I can always place it in the greenhouse where it will be warmer, away from the summertime swam cooler. Plus, I really like the look of the pitcher. I don't want to keep most lowlanders because they'll die during the winter without a heater running 24/7, but the one I listed seemed okay. I can definitely live without it if that's necessary. I'm just building a list so I'll have a reference to hardiness and a lot of options.

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I would say off your list to begin with these:

Nepenthes burkeii
    Nepenthes copelandii
    Nepenthes khasiana
    Nepenthes maxima
    Nepenthes rafflesiana
    Nepenthes veitchii
    Nepenthes sanguinea
    Nepenthes specatabilis

they should grow rather quickly and are all relatively easy in that they are not high altitude Highland temperature requiring plants, most would be considered intermediate lowlanders who grow perfectly well at household temps. Good for beginners. The others you choose require cool days and cold nights with very high humidity to ensure reliable high quality pitchering.

You don't state what your temps are going to be tell us the following:

Day temps night temps summer

Day temps night temps winter

Humidity

Amount of light
    Outside Day Temp Summer: 60-100, depending on the weather. This past summer there were a few weeks of 50s-60s with rain, but some years it has been above 100F. Of course, in the greenhouse I will be running a swamp cooler, misting regularly and making sure the greenhouse stays 85F or below. The nighttime temperatures are in the 50s and 60s.

Outside Day Temp Winter: 50-70, depending on the weather. It never snows, but it does frost often, however the greenhouse will protect the plants from a frost. I may invest in a small heater to run on those nights when it gets really cold. The nighttime temperatures are between 35 and 40 usually. The greenhouse is currently staying around 40F on these cold nights, but I'm going to insulate it more.

Humidity: I haven't installed anything humidity-wise to the greenhouse yet. I'm thinking about a misting system, but that wouldn't really work since neps don't like tap water. More than likely, I'll end up getting a fogger. I'll invest in a pump-spray bottle with a large tank so I can bring the humidity up using RO/DI. Right now, without any form of humidifying, it stays around 60-70 percent.

Lighting: In the winter, the greenhouse gets about two hours of full sun at the least. In the summer, I would say it will get around four or five hours of full sun. The rest of the day, the greenhouse is in bright, indirect sunlight. It's shaded by my neighbor's trees, but it's the brightest place in my yard.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    I'll stay away from hamata, macrophylla and talangensis for now until I get some more experience under my belt. If lowii is slow-growing, it might not be the best choice for me, being as impatient as I am. I'll say away from vogelli also then.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand and in my experience, hamata is not necessarily all that difficult, but that talangensis and singalana are not really easy plants. They require higher humidity (I think) than most. Also macrophylla is not a beginners plant by any means especially considering how expensive they can be.

My advice would be to get burkei, maxima, copelandii, maybe alba, vogellii and if you feel like you are ready for it a hamata that can be your baby that you pamper a little more.

I would stay away from lowlanders because in any attempt to make them really happy you will sacrifice the necessary conditions for your highlanders. Also without their true lowland temps they will just pout and take up space not doing much.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stay away from anything too expensive cheap plants can still be great plants,sanguinea and khasiana are a must,fast growing plants are what i would go for and when they are up and going look towards the slower and more expensive,why no ventricosa i think they are very under rated,they are cheap easy growing and i think they look good

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast