Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeding Bugs to Neps

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    fill them up with water and they'll recover their digestive mix.
    Just filled two up about 1/6 or less of the way with RO water. I'll see how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually just feed all my nepenthes fish food. You should check into it!
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnstuckinTime View Post
    I usually just feed all my nepenthes fish food. You should check into it!
    Just read some of this thread... http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=83259

There wasn't much in it about feeding fish food. Do you have a link to information on that?

I had some ideas about culturing my own foods for the neps. The two I was considering is wingless fruit flies and guppies. Of course, I would be feeding them baby guppies if I decided on that. Are baby guppies too much for a nep to digest since they have bones? Will that cause the pitcher to rot?

Also, the thread I linked to above had some information that suggested foliar fertilizing was a good way to get neps to create pitchers... Is that true? And with foliar feeding, do I need to clean mineral build up off of the leaf by spraying it with RO water a few days after fertilizing?

...And the thread said something about LFS getting slimy after fertilizing because it breaks down... The LFS that my N. singalana is planted in feels slimy, but "crisp" at the same time. Is it starting to break down due to fertilizing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feeding my Neps and other CPs with flightless fruit flies has worked out quite well.

And i've found that the Repashy: Superfly media mix has yielded a lot more fruit flies than previous mixes i've used.

dvg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    And with foliar feeding, do I need to clean mineral build up off of the leaf by spraying it with RO water a few days after fertilizing?
    If you are seeing mineral buildup on foliage, then you are using WAAAAY too much fertilizer, or your water has far too much TDS in it.....or both. We're talking about miniscule amounts of fertilizer here: one or two drops of a urea-free formula in 32 ounces of water, misted on the plants once every two weeks or so. Some may advocate slightly more, but start with less, then see what the plants tell you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    If you are seeing mineral buildup on foliage, then you are using WAAAAY too much fertilizer, or your water has far too much TDS in it.....or both. We're talking about miniscule amounts of fertilizer here: one or two drops of a urea-free formula in 32 ounces of water, misted on the plants once every two weeks or so. Some may advocate slightly more, but start with less, then see what the plants tell you.
    I'm using 1tsp of MSU Urea-free Orchid Fertilizer, from repotme.com I think it is. I believe it's like 1/6 of the recommended mixture for orchids. I'm mixing it with RO water, which is what I water all of my neps with. I guess I'll fill the bottle up with a bit more RO to dilute the fertilizer even more, because I did see mineral buildup on the leaf of my vent. x talang.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dvg View Post
    Feeding my Neps and other CPs with flightless fruit flies has worked out quite well.

And i've found that the Repashy: Superfly media mix has yielded a lot more fruit flies than previous mixes i've used.

dvg
    Awesome!! I'll get a culture of fruit flies going in the greenhouse. I've always wanted a culture!

Crap, I just threw away my Repashy a few months ago!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12