Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upper/Lower Pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think N. rajah is a terrible first example of the difference between uppers and lowers
    Sorry about that. I'm not a big nep guy and I could tell the difference so I thought he might be able to also.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionae View Post
    Sorry about that. I'm not a big nep guy and I could tell the difference so I thought he might be able to also.
    I definitely see some difference, just not much. I could tell one was darker and may have had a smaller "lid." All pictures help though! It showed me an example of one that didn't change much, but it did some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Does the tendril curl to add more stability to the pitcher so it wont snap off easier? Is there another reason?
    in the wild the tendril will curl around a nearby branch for support

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't want weirdly-shaped green pitchers on my neps rather than the regular-shaped colorful pitcher with flared peristomes, teeth, spikes and ladders. That's why I'm afraid of upper pitchers now, haha.
    Well, it's not like you are going to have much of a say in the matter: when a plant gets old enough to vine, you are gonna get uppers! Best to educate yourself now (before buying a boatload of plants) to learn which ones will produce the kind of uppers you wil like, and which ones you don't. People grow N. lowii because they want the uppers. Others, like N. maxima produce rather plain uppers lacking marking and color, other than green.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Well, it's not like you are going to have much of a say in the matter: when a plant gets old enough to vine, you are gonna get uppers! Best to educate yourself now (before buying a boatload of plants) to learn which ones will produce the kind of uppers you wil like, and which ones you don't. People grow N. lowii because they want the uppers. Others, like N. maxima produce rather plain uppers lacking marking and color, other than green.
    I looked up the upper pitchers of all of the neps I own. Luckily I like them all, and most of them are colorful uppers. I believe the picture that I bought my ventricosa x talangensis from was the picture of the upper pitcher judging by the shape, and that plant is already vining, probably over 16" tall already and growing fast. I should be getting uppers on it soon.

I think the maxima's upper pitcher looks kinda cool though. It's a neat shape, despite being green, and it's not just a green flower... It's a green flower filled with digestive juices that eats bugs!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't want weirdly-shaped green pitchers on my neps rather than the regular-shaped colorful pitcher with flared peristomes, teeth, spikes and ladders. That's why I'm afraid of upper pitchers now, haha.
    Yeah I'm with Whimgrinder, sometimes, in fact most times, people want uppers because some of the most bizarre characters can be displayed depending on what species or hybrid it is.

But, on the other hand there are plenty of plants that get really lame boring looking upper pitchers. Just figure out which ones you are most interested and don't worry about it all that much because Nepenthes just don't grow all that fast so uppers wont be happening any time soon (probably).

cpphotofinder.com is your friend. It's what I use if I am interested in any plant or especially before I buy a plant. If it's a hybrid I look at as many pictures as I can of both the parents and get an idea of what both the upper and lower pitchers look like and then I decide whether they will be interesting enough to devote space in my confined and restricted grow space.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

I think the maxima's upper pitcher looks kinda cool though. It's a neat shape, despite being green, and it's not just a green flower... It's a green flower filled with digestive juices that eats bugs!
    Also, I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but Nepenthes pitchers aren't flowers they are actually highly modified leaves.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. x ventrata will always have lower pitchers. It produces basal shoots more than any other Nepenthes I've ever seen.

I've seen some very nicely shaped and marked N. maxima uppers, it all depends on the form and the genes.
    N. burkei is an exception to the upper/lower pitcher size. From what I've read the uppers are larger then the lowers, possibly even more colorful.

Also, some lower pitchers have a tendril attachment at the front of the pitcher. It all depends on the species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few examples from a couple of my N. spectabilis plants
    lower pitcher on my North Sumatra male clone

upper pitcher from the same plant

and an upper from my female plant from Gunung Sinabung

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast