What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ventricosa "Black Peristome"

I was under the impression that the "Black Peristome" Nepenthes ventricosa was a variety of ventricosa or possibly subspecies. The pitchers have some huge wings however, (at least on the lowers) which is is pretty uncharacteristic of this species. It appears to be some kind of hybrid to me. Do any of you know anything about the lineage of this plant ?

I dunno, I'm not good with N. ventricosa I kill them for some reason but I'd love to see it if you have a pic.

There is a N. ventricosa hybrid with N. spathutala out there lately that looks kinda like an overweight N. spathulata with a number of N. ventricosa charachteristics and a dark peristome, perhaps tags on young plants got jumbled and you wound up with one of them?

Yeah man, I'd say that looks like the cross with N. spathulata just a wild stab here, was it "$10" on ebay? That seller has both these plants available (or did).

Cthulhu138: I think your ventricosa 'black peristome' is a spathulata x ventricosa or the opposite cross. ventricosa does not have big frilly wings like in the pic and the peristome is showing some spath traits as well

Hhmmmm............I may have been sent the wrong plant. Damn it. If anyone happens to have "Black Peristome" N. ventricosa please post some pics.

That is a spathulata hybrid, I'm certain of it.

Yeah, that's vent x spath :( My ventricosa BP:

379464_10150608585268969_787308968_11319363_422909442_n.jpg

Hey swords, I too have horrible luck with ventricosa. Supposedly easy but growing this well eludes me.

Anyway, does the black peristome form actually get a black peristome? I've never seen a photo of one and it sounds intriguing.

The only pics I could find of "Black Peristome" ventricosa had red peristomes......

I'm fairly sure that it's called black peristome because the peristome on mature plants can turn purple rather than the normal red color of ventricosa

Yeah, I assumed the same thing, just have yet to see a pic of it.

Yeah, my ventricosa "black peristome" definitely doesn't have wings.

377802_2631582901740_1020392669_2710113_1781106380_n.jpg

Ah, there it is. Thanks Quinn. Ok, anyone want to trade me something for a really nice N. ventricosa X spathulata ?

ventc-2.jpg

ventricosablackperistom.jpg

n-ventricosa-black-peristome-1315490990.jpg

There might be a couple different clones, but it seems to have a dark red/purple/black peristome, and lovely pale body :drool:

Veering slightly off topic, have you considered getting the "madja-as" variety of N. ventricosa? It has more color, body markings and a dramatic peristome. (got mine from TP for a very reasonable price)

Take a look:

0076-0%20(0340)-12.jpg

No, I hadn't considered getting a Madja-as vent. I am now though ! That's probably the nicest looking ventricosa form I've seen.

Back