Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identify the pest (?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Identify the pest (?)

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on with my N. spectabilis x aristolochioides. The most recent leaf is distorted, as is the tendril (it's curled backwards). I thought it was a fluke, but now the newest leaf that is unfolding is showing the same problem. I've also recently noticed some small webs around the plant. My first thought was spider mites, but 1) I can't seem to find any on the plant, and 2) it's my understanding that they won't survive in humid conditions, and this plant has been in the direct line of my humidifier for the past month or two. I'm seeing some webs on a couple of my other neps that are right next to this one, but have not seen any of the leaf distortion in them. General conditions: growing under lights, days 75-80F, nights 58-65F, humidity between 40-60% (though probably a bit higher since it's so close to the humidifier).

Any thoughts on what this could be and how I could treat it?
    Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That plant looks healthy... I dont see anything wrong with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the top photo, notice the leaf margins of the leaf pointing straight at you. The left middle looks like it was cut away, as does the right tip (compare with the leaf directly below it).
    In the second photo (same leaf), the tip of the tendril is curled under (compare to the blurry tendril to the right of it that curls upwards in the usual fashion).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a BE TC clone?? if so I think had this exact clone. It seems to produce perfectly normal, healthy leaves and then produces these funky leaves. Mine never grew out of it either and if this is the same clone I had be on the look out for pitchers with only one wing, areas on the pitcher where instead of the normal spotted colouration it stays lime green and distored peristomes. I'll see if i can dig up any old pics of my plant

Here are some pics of my plant...
    see the distorted coloration and peristome?

and this is the only pic of the whole plant I could find but notice the leaf about midway up the bright green pitcher to the right? then the growth point died and the new growth (the slightly lighter green growth above the deformed leaf) looked normal again? really weird
    Last edited by mikefallen13; 01-09-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no expert and I dont have an explanation for the mishapen leaf but that plant looks fine imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Mike. I'm not sure, but probably. I got it from a well-known nursery in California, and I think that's where he gets them from. Ugh, I hope you're wrong. I love this little guy and it finally has settled in and is pitchering regularly - I'd hate to think it's going to be a mutant now. I'd love to see your pics for reference though.
    On the bright side, maybe I don't have spider mites after all, though there are those webs...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    added some pics
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww, the poor thing looks like it was punched in the face! Very strange. I'll keep you posted on what happens - I'm curious if the distorted tendril will pitcher.
    Is this strange growth behavior common for TC plants?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast