What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
Hey folks, I know this is kind of late news and there are already some other threads discussing these plants (obviously), but I couldn't stand bumping a thread that has now been deemed incorrectly named.

I've compiled (as far as I can find) some of the major threads that have been made discussing "N. truncata "Queen of Hearts" x "King of Spades"", which is now recognized as a new species, N. robcantleyi.

This thread on Carnivorous Plants in the Tropics forum is the most detailed and informative thread on the internet in regards to these plants, with contributions from knowledgeable botanists, prolific enthusiasts, and heated debate between two of the largest Nepenthes distributors in the world.

http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/i...y&thread=10684

These are some threads that were made on Terraforums before the news was broken, so to speak.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119155

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129005

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129320

And this is the thread on proboards that is essentially identical to this one.

http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=10715

I now pose this offer, that this thread become the place where all remaining discussion and sharing of pictures occurs.

Now I have this question,

I seem to recall a couple of people mentioning that in sub-optimal conditions these plants have a tendency to create "little-lid" pitchers. I now know what those people mean as the first pitcher that my plant has created in my care is doomed to have little lid syndrome.

I'm wondering if anyone has found what halts this condition, or what I can do to make a fuller, better pitcher come this next leaf?

The plants conditions are as such:

Media - 100% LFS

Lighting - one foot below two T5's.

Humidity - never lower than 60%, and often into the 90's.

Temp - 80 degrees day time, 55 degrees nighttime.

Thanks! And let's see those plants! :D

the first pitcher mine created in my care had extreme little lid. lol as in NO lid at all..

6546787841_fb11ec9daf_b.jpg

I was told it was caused by low humidity by various people, but that's not the case with mine either because its in a closed tank at 90-100% humidity.. I think with mine it was a case of shipping shock or still settling in.. Its latest pitcher looks like it will have a complete, normal lid..

its bigger and more inflated now but heres a pic for an example
6662555525_53ba2bfca8_b.jpg

So, I would say, keep conditions where they should be, high humidity, not too super hot or anything and the next pitcher should be better..

Your nights are too cold.....mine did this when night temps were below 60F

Also....I find that it needs a better draining mix than that.....it hates wet feet, and will send out weird pitchers for this too.

Okay... :scratch: It's easy for me to raise the night temps, I might try that. But if I do I know some of the more finicky highlanders wont stand for it.

Okay... :scratch: It's easy for me to raise the night temps, I might try that. But if I do I know some of the more finicky highlanders wont stand for it.

I find that if behaves like an intermediate for me.

weird sounds better than my conditions and mine is ok,my humidity has dropped to 45 sometimes so do not think its a humidity issue,but my temps have dropped as low as yours with no problems,maybe it came from different conditions and needs to acclimatise

Sounds like my conditions are perfect for it.

Yeah, I don't notice any problems when my temps are as low as the 40s at night. I have begun seeing a bit of leaf burn on a new leaf, though. I'll probably need to lower it a couple of inches. I think the problem could also have been that my humidity fell into the 40s the last two days because I wasn't paying attention to the water level in the tray below.

My robcantleyi has been doing the same thing since i got it over a year ago. the perimstone comes out fine though. i suspect its either rootbound or media too wet. i just repotted mine to a 6inch pot 2 weeks ago from a 4inch pot and all the roots were on the bottom. i changed the media from nz sphagnum and perlite to nz sphagnum, perlite, and coco husk. hopefully with a more open media and bigger pot it will start producing normal lids.

@Brie: perhaps you are growing the closely related N. nolidleyi. ;-)

So I noticed the hybrid N. bellii x truncata King of Spades is actually N. bellii x robcantleyi.

wait, so N. truncata qoh x kos is now N. robcanleyi? i had one, and now i have to change how i look at it!

I like the looks of this nepenthes, so here is mine. This is from the 550 clones and not seed grown which is hard to find one but not impossible maybe later. The pitcher is about 6" long. I hope the peristome will be come wider and flared but I know it will fold back as it gets older. Also, hope the color gets dark.

Ramon:D

N. robcantleyi
14881214035_de81d579b9_z.jpg

14878762994_c83aaf72a1_z.jpg

Back