Thread: Plants froze overnight

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plants froze overnight

Hi everyone...especially Jens,

If you guys are seeing this...please tell me if I can do something...or if its all over. I woke up this morning to see the humidifier water empty and the duct tube that brings in outside air just blowing air into the tank. Normally this hasn't been a problem before, but temps have suddenly gone down in canada and I looked into the tank and found all my rarest and most precious plants in this state. In some pots the media was still frozen.

Please tell me if i can somehow save them. I spent years of effort raising those seedlings (3-4 years), they together are nearly 800$ worth of plants and some priceless plants (IMO) that I saved inspite of being a student and after so much care, just bought them new lighting too (380$ for 8 tube T5).

Please someone...tell me that they can be saved somehow. What can I do? Anything.. :'( :'(

burbidgeae x edwardsiana .. grew this for 4y

macrophylla ... I can't believe that my most dearest possession....it survived an accident with water drought 3y ago.

jacquelineae ....had this for 5y...came to me 1cm sized

tenuis... one of the most expensive plants I have.... just got it last year

jamban BE

most heartful...4y old seedlings N. jamban... the pride of my collection...I grew these from seed. :'( :'(

Please help...can anything be done?

thanks.

Varun

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my god thats terrible! I cant tell you whether they will make it but I really hope they do!

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they are gone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen worse.. If you're lucky they'll continue to grow. Not sure what the growth points look like, but hopefully they are protected inside the upcoming leaf. Don't give up on them by any means.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After thawing, go thru the plants & feel them.
    Indeed the coloring shows major freeze burn...
    but feel the stems to see if they are mushy inside.
    Healthy tissue will be somewhat firm, but freezing bursts the cells inside the plant,
    leaving a mushy goo with a "skin"!
    Stems & leaves may look intact, but the insides is where it really matters.
    Any dead tissue won't return, so if you need to, un-pot them & feel the stems & roots.

IF you can feel anything that seems firm & normal, it may still be alive in that portion. However you will need to remove all the mushy parts, even if that means only having a small portion of root & stem left.

If there is anything left, pot it up! I would use a rooting hormone to encourage further rooting if possible, and then give the "plants" their normal environment again.
    It is a long shot anyway, but I have been able to salvage a few things this way, so if anything does still seem intact, give it a try.
    Leaving dead/mushy tissue on healthy tissue will make the whole thing rot.

Well, good luck. From the look of it, you are going to need it.
    Hard lesson to learn, but having a set-up of any kind has its drawbacks, and it isn't always easy to have a "back-up" to cover every possible bad scenario.

VERY sorry to see the loss. They looked like nice plants.

Paul

After a second look, I can only say "That is just plain sad"!
    In time the areas that are slightly discolored will get worse looking. The pictures don't do justice to showing the actual damage, but in time it will indeed become more obvious. Try to not wait too long, for like gangrene in a human, dead tissue will spread rot into good/healthy tissue... so once you determine the actual damage, bet on to a bit of surgery to salvage what is left alive.
    I wish you luck on this process. But it can indeed be done, and may be your only viable option.
    Plants can be very hardy & can survive a lot. But sometimes they need our help. Again, good luck.
    Last edited by GrowinOld; 01-15-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry about the plants!! Your jamban seedlings look like they might pull it through for being close to the ground but I don't know what to say about the others. Don't loose hope if they have dead growth points...ive had basals pop up when stuff like this happens. If they're are some losses I'm sure some TF'ers will help you regain the lost plants. Wish you the best of luck.

Lance

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GrowinOld's advice is probably the best and most uplifting that you'll get. . . It looks like one of those seed-grown jamban is still kind of green? Perhaps that one will survive.

I am sincerely sorry for your loss, as the prospects for their survival look grim. If I had any of these plants in any quantity to replace yours, I totally would. This is truly tragic.

Best of luck, and best of wishes.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is painful to look at. I do have some good news, from looking at the photos. One of the N. jamban seedlings looks like it suffered no damage. The rest of them should recover if they're pampered. N. macrophylla and tenuis should have a living growing point still. I hope they all recover for you!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast