Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Litre Nepenthes Hydroponics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Acurite View Post
    besides, what would a pump acomplish over a wick system?
    A wick system is a passive one, and is thereby much slower than one provided by a water pump. If the surface air is humid, the wicking capillary action will be even slower, making a nice soggy environment for fungus. If too dry, you'll have an unhappy plant with wet roots and dry leaves.

A water pump, however, will have a constant flow of oxygenated water over the media and the roots, making it harder for the fungus to take hold, and providing more uniformly moist media! I know which I'd rather have if i were a plant. (Soggy oatmeal bath, or nice refreshing shower?)

Hope this helps you understand,
    CJ
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that clears things up; but yet, i still have no pump, so how can i ensure a uniformly moist soil over a week-or-so break without a pump, or any kind of costly or not-easily obtainable doohickey? the N. ventricosa will come in a few days, and i have a week-long trip in February. I want the plant to acclimate to this system, iif at all. If this kind of a thing can't work without pumps, can a 3-inch wide vent survive a week without water without serious damage?
    If Swiss Cheese has holes, and more holes=less cheese, and more cheese=more holes, does that mean that more cheese=less cheese?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find cheap water pumps at any given aquarium or pet shop. Aquaclears would be the cheapest option, probably the most compact, too.

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I build a lot of small water features, I like to use the Zoo-Med Micro pumps.
    They are very compact, yet powerful enough to lift water a couple of feet.
    The best part is....they can run dry with no overheating issues.
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe your over complicating the situation. I water my plants weekly on my window sill. It isn't a big deal, as long as they don't go dry. Just soak it before going and if your overly concerned, save yourself work, cut the soda bottle in half and put a dome over your plant to hold in humidity til you get back. A week is not an eternity.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look thru my recent post about "RainMakers" & automatic watering systems.:
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129252

If you look in the beginning of my post, you will find a very simple & cheap automatic wayering system using a bucket & a wide garden type plastic pot.
    Add a few holes in the pot, some plastic tubing (again, add holes with a hot nail or awl) and some copper wire to hold it all in place, and its done.
    You can use whatever containers that suit your choice, and a small $10-$15 pump (anywhere from 50 to 200 gal per hour is all you need, along with a cheap light timer to make it run a few times a day for a minute or two, and that is alll it takes.

If you can cover the plant with plastic somewhat, keeping in the humidity may also help to reduce water loss. But be careful to avoid stagnant conditions.

If you want something to make watering & daily care a thing of the past, this is the way to go! It is a more natural & beneficial way to water, and won't lead to rot from plants sitting in water. The "wicking" doesn't allow for wet/dry fluxuations, and so isn't as beneficial, except for helping to grow the bad, disgusting things!

Do a few searches on TF to find more info on the subject. Wealth of info here!
    Good luck.

PS: And I do also agree with the previous post... a week here & there is not a long time. If your plants are in an enclosed place to conserve on humidity, you should not have any problem going a week or more between waterings.
    Consider that option first before thinking you need something more involved/complex! Find out first by experimenting, before just assuming you need something like an auto-water system. Indeed, I certainly agree!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr Acurite: PM me and I can donate a small water pump I parted from a small table fountain. I'd just ask that you cover shipping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look. It's not that i don't have the funds or will to do this; i just can't get the supplies. Can someone tell me how to do this without using pumps or computers or whatever, that would be great. If it comes down to it; i will get that stuff, i just want a simple way to do this. I don't have tubing, or air stones, or anything.
    If Swiss Cheese has holes, and more holes=less cheese, and more cheese=more holes, does that mean that more cheese=less cheese?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast