What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Litre Nepenthes Hydroponics

what i meant by "cover with saran wrap" i meant have the box open at the top, with saran wrap over that opening, with the lights above it. Doesn't high humidity+carboard=mold though?

I caught these as well, but I was too chicken to say much. But dude, he's just 13. At that age, most kids can't even type correctly. At least he's staying up with controversial issues. Neps are a pretty sophisticated hobby for such an age.

On topic, I think basically anything that is 99% enclosed will keep the humidity high. So anything from a car to a pumpkin will keep high humidity if there is moisture inside and high enough temperatures to evaporate it into the air.

I agree we should stick on topic, but you really can't expect to say something like that and "get away with it." Some people have actually read the bill, instead of read other peoples perceptions of it, and know what they are talking about.

The two statements I replied to, you might as well call them liars. Terraforums would not go down, and SOPA/PIPA is in no way against the first amendment. ( I like you Heli, it's just factually incorrect)

Okay, i get it, SOPA and PIPA aren't blah blah blah, can someone answer my questions?

High humidity plus cardboard equals nothing but trouble. A plastic bin with a light on top would be better, or like others have mentioned, an aquarium.

My dad suggested it in his ignorance, i just wanted to point that out to him...

Look into semi-hydro for orchid. I plan too. Might be just the thing you want.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

SOPA and PIPA are bad. Very bad legislation period.

Im looking for what i could make a terrarium of

hmmm...... yes i do, actually

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

But they're either all too small, too big, or don't have a clear lid. I will not, on my life, order from wal-mart, do you know how they treat there employees?

But they're either all too small, too big, or don't have a clear lid.

I dont think they'll need a lid. When I first started growing these plants (probably when I was at your age) I took a five gallon tank, covered it in Seran wrap, and put a light up to it just far enough a way to not melt the plastic. Those poor plants never had a chance....

Don't worry about a lid is the moral of the story. A layer of humid air will be down around the plants. Remember that plants themselves produce humidity via transpiration, and if you have something simple like an evaporation tray, it'll go a long way.

yeah
the lid doesnt matter
if you are going to leave the plants potted you can turn the container upside down and put the plants on the lid and shine light in through the bottom

Ah, to me this looks like
"Yes, but....!"

For those not familiar with it (and are actually trying to help out),
I can only say that what you think is going on (taken at face value) ???
isn't!
:scratch:

Good luck with ever coming to a viable solution! :lac:

(Although once it is revealed, it is usually ended! Thank God!)
But then that's what adds some realism to it, in the very end!
;)

Can anyone tell me the specific brand or name of a good light time-changer thing? everything on the lowe's site is kind of ambiguous, can someone tell me the name on the label of what they use?

My timer is made by first alert.

Wal mart carries a series of timers from Brinks Technologies. They have digital heavy duty, dual outlet timers that can have multiple on/off sequences. They are about 20 dollars a piece. They work well on my lights for over a year now.

I will NEVER, i repeat NEVER buy ANYTHING from wal-mart, they refuse to treat employees well, i refuse to buy from them. can i buy anything straight from the manufacturer?

I bet the people who made your clothes were treated like kings...might as well take those off and knit yourself something cozy.

Simple search at a hydro web site will steer you in the right direction.

Thank you for the tip, and, surprisingly, all my clothes were made in the USA, or in certified non-sweatshop based factories.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

but seriously, can someone tell me a model number, or something like "auto-light changer heavy duty 361 home depot" or something? it would make my buisness so much easier and it would only take a minute on your part

They all do the same thing, turn power on and off to appliances. Pick the one YOU like. Some are digital, some analog, some have 3 foot cords, some plug directly into the outlet.

First of all, it doesn't matter. I have a $20 digital timer that works just as well as my dial timer. It REALLY doesn't matter at all. Just go to a hardware store and get the cheapest one.

Secondly, you are coming across rather rudely. I'm not sure if its intentional. Please don't take this in the wrong way, but everyone that has posted here has tried to help, and those that gave up on helping probably did so because of the way you are commanding them to give you the answer you want to hear. As I said, I'm not trying to make you feel bad about it, but it's a good thing to treat everyone nicely, especially the people who have been helping your for eight pages.

To summarize, get a 20-30g tall aquarium from petco. Get a glass hood for the size aquarium you choose. You can shop around awhile for a light you like. Make sure it's 4500-6500k, which will lOok yellow when on. The higher wattage the better, but keep the kind of light in mind. T5 provides a better spectrum than power compact, but if it's a 20w T5 versus a 100w power compact or fluorescent, go for the higher wattage. Get a humidity gauge and a thermometer while at petco, which should be around $10 total.

I wrapped my terrarium in foil to reflect the light so that the plants get as much as possible. Don't forget to ask questions as you go. Donresearch on everything before you buy it. With a terrarium, you'll loose less plants and they will grow better.

Back