What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Litre Nepenthes Hydroponics

Good beginners species/hybrids:
ventricosa
alata
x ventrata
sanguina
truncata
maxima
poi dogs (hybrids)
rafflesiana
veitchii
spathulata
the list goes on...

Yeah there are a lot more but heli listed some good starter plants. I'd personally add copelandii and vogelii to the list as well

Well, I've already got truncata, sort of, and ventricosa, so i might try my hand at spathulata.
now, how to get my hands on it... theres a spathulata x fusca hybrid at *, good idea or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd add N. burkei and alba to the list too.

Mr. Acurite: Just so you know, naming vendors, other than flytrapshop.com is against the forum rules.

Hmm, burkei does look nice, is it highland? or intermediate? my dad said i could go to lowes and buy an automated light changer, so that's taken care of. Hopefully i can get a nice aquarium to. does the aquarium go open side up, down, or on its side, i understand everything else, but i can see you doing it any of those 3 ways...

Hmm, burkei does look nice, is it highland? or intermediate? my dad said i could go to lowes and buy an automated light changer, so that's taken care of. Hopefully i can get a nice aquarium to. does the aquarium go open side up, down, or on its side, i understand everything else, but i can see you doing it any of those 3 ways...

Burkei grows well as either HL or intermediate.

Just a question; if im growing highlands, is an aquarium casing necessary? or is that just lowlanders for extra humidity?

not necessary for highland but it is much easier to grow them. Plants with thin leaves like hamata will probably do bad in low humidity.

now, just waiting for the weekend, my stuff in the mail, and warning everyone of the impending internet apocalypse (SOPA and PIPA, which would likely shut down terraforums) is all i have to do.

I am sure SOPA and PIPA arent going to pass. They are against the first amendment.

I am sure SOPA and PIPA arent going to pass. They are against the first amendment.

...And Google got over four million people to sign the petition against it... :blush:

They said on the news that a lot of the supporters of passing the bill backed out after that. :)

Yea, wikipedia blacked itself as you prolly know. Also the hacking group Anonymous is against SOPA and PIPA, they hacked several sites.

Just a question; if im growing highlands, is an aquarium casing necessary? or is that just lowlanders for extra humidity?

Some highlanders do want higher humidity. I know for a fact that talangensis, singalana and some others won't pitcher for you in lower humidity, and prefer humidity around 70%+ at minimum. It's much easier to control variables in a terrarium. I would suggest getting one. You can get a 10g glass tank for $10 at petco and a glass lid for another $10, then put it in the window and you have a cheap terrarium. The humidity stays around 90% during the day in my terrarium, *unsealed*! In a sealer terrarium, you may have to mist less than once a month to keep the humidity high enough. I'm not any expert though, I'm just into this hobby a month myself. I just spend too much time on terra forums collecting information. :-D

now, just waiting for the weekend, my stuff in the mail, and warning everyone of the impending internet apocalypse (SOPA and PIPA, which would likely shut down terraforums) is all i have to do.

No. It won't shut down terra forums. Just pirate websites. But that will force google to take helpful resources off of their search engine.

thanks for the tip pineapple *nice name*

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

My dad is saying that before running out and buying anything legitimate, i should take a cardboard box and cover it in saran wrap, and put my plants in there to see what happens. is this, in any way, a good idea?

Not really. You need light inside. And big electric lights and cardboard equals fire hazard. Just cut a two liter soda bottle in half and use the bottom half as a dome to temporarily keep the humidity up so it doesn't dry out when you leave. Then concentrate on building a terrarium.

+1 to what he said ^

You can't be serious.

:lol:

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Explain to me how.

You can't be serious.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Explain to me how.

Let's try to stay on topic with Mr Acurite's original post. This could get out of control.

You can't be serious.

Explain to me how.

I caught these as well, but I was too chicken to say much. But dude, he's just 13. At that age, most kids can't even type correctly. At least he's staying up with controversial issues. Neps are a pretty sophisticated hobby for such an age.

On topic, I think basically anything that is 99% enclosed will keep the humidity high. So anything from a car to a pumpkin will keep high humidity if there is moisture inside and high enough temperatures to evaporate it into the air.

Back